View Single Post
Old 08-28-2020, 02:12 PM   #100
theastronaut

Re: 1966 F100 Short Bed Styleside Metal/Body/Paint Work

Got the metalwork and rough bodywork on the bed floor finished and sealed with a couple coats of epoxy.

I used the rear rib section that was over the gas tank to fill in the section where the round stamping was.

I knew that the ribs were all different heights, but I didn't realize they also changed shape from front to rear slightly. I thought I could make a spreader for skim coating each rib to simplify spreading filler, but the shape of the ribs ended up being wider or narrower from end to end. This also meant that I couldn't make a sanding block to fit the intended shape, so I had to manually block the bottom/sides/top of every rib.

My attempt at making a spreader-

Tons of blocking later. This was a chore to shape/sand the width of base of the floor, the angle and height of the sides of the ribs, and the width of the top of the ribs consistently, along with keeping the radii of the corners and edges consistent. There are a few small imperfections I need to touch up before I shoot it with polyester primer, then more blocking to make it 100% straight.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote