View Single Post
Old 09-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #22
#169fan

Re: what do you all think?

once the body and engine and tranny were removed i powerwashed it very well. i then removed the front end, you just unbolt like 10 bolts i think after the steering is all unhooked, and then you just support the frame and roll everything out from under it. then i removed the rearend springs and all. at this point you could sandblast it, but my sandblaster was plugging up so i decided to spend alot of time with a wire wheel on a grinder and a scraper. i took it all the way to bare metal. i had some rust issues behind the rear spring hangers, so i had to torch out the rivets that hold all 4 hangers on. i used a plasma torch to cut all the bad metal out before i welded in some fresh steel and re-drilled the holes for the spring mounts, which i bolted back in with grade 8 bolts later. at this point i decided what the heck, lets just dismantle the entire frame so i even removed all the cross members in the frame. so at this point the frame was in several pieces. i herculined every piece individually before bolting it all back together. follow the directions on the herculiner if you decide to go this way instead of paint or powder coat. if you do not do it right, the herculiner will not adhear to the metal correctly and it could flake off over time. make sure to use a good degreaser before you coat the frame. as far as the front end and the rearend go, i painted them since there are numerous bolts you may eventually have to remove to do repairs. if you were to herculine it, bolts are nearly impossible to remove unless you plan on grinding them off.
#169fan is offline   Reply With Quote