View Single Post
Old 05-30-2021, 12:06 PM   #125
caseyjones

Re: 1964 C10 Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
I missed the intermittent wipers - where is the install on those??
I never really detailed it out so here we go...I looked at the options on the market - the crazy expensive kit with a new motor, or the add-on box that required a bunch of twists of the wiper knob to "program" the delay, and I didn't like either one.

I decided to go with the old 555 timer delay solution, even though it requires an extra knob. I bought this little delay board:
https://www.amazon.com/12VDC-Windshi...48975422&psc=1

I de-soldered the potentiometer and bought these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the same type of potentiometer that the board had on it but it was sealed up better. It's got the on-off function built into it. It's basically a guitar volume switch.

I soldered in new leads from the board to the new potentiometer so I could remote-mount the pot in a hole on the bottom lip of the dashboard. I had to drill an extra little hole for the anti-rotation tab on the pot. I also smeared a bunch of hot glue around on the back of the switch to insulate the terminals after it was all soldered together.

I then made a little jumper that splits the low speed wire from my 2-speed switch. One end goes back to the terminal on the stock switch, and the other goes to the NO terminal on the new delay board. Ground the COM terminal, and give the board switched 12v. Don't use the schematic that comes with the instructions for the board, it won't work on our systems.

I stuffed the board in a little plastic enclosure box and wedged it up under the dash. Here's the switch knob:

The original switch works just like it did before, and the new switch works independently to turn on the wipers and sets a delay between 3sec and 30 seconds. Totally worth the $35 or whatever.

Last edited by caseyjones; 05-31-2021 at 12:37 AM.
caseyjones is offline   Reply With Quote