View Single Post
Old 07-13-2021, 09:51 PM   #134
omodified

Re: "Midnight Rider" 1970 C10 SWB Fleetside

I'm trying to eliminate engine parts that are just sitting here in boxes. Next, I decided to install the coolant temp sensor. Most LS applications has the sensor on the driver side front of the cylinder head. I wanted to put it on the passenger side rear so I can keep the wiring as clean as possible. Then, all I would have to do is plug the original hole on the driver side. This should have been simple...

Then I went to plug the other side and found this under the tape...

The 12X1.5 plug I bought just wobbles around in these threads. I even tried a 1/4npt and it just stops after two turns. I contemplated on how to handle this situation. I considered making new 1/4npt threads in the head and just plugging it. I really want the option of still using this port for the coolant temp sensor in case the passenger side doesn't work out. With that, my only option is to use a heli-coil. I'm a bit intimidated by this because I only get one shot to tap the threads straight. Just to further complicate things, I don't want to remove the head. So, I will be drilling and tapping with the block upside down so all of the shavings fall out. I think I will just put this to bed for now...

Board Member #87725
My build thread... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=813848

Last edited by omodified; 07-14-2021 at 07:19 PM.
omodified is offline   Reply With Quote