View Single Post
Old 08-31-2020, 08:54 PM   #8
1976gmc20

Re: C50 or C60 brakes ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpsoffrock View Post
A c40 is still a ton-and-a-half rated truck and will come with 20"(or the rare factory 22.5") rims. They are kinda rare but should do the job just as well.

I have ran my truck(1967 C50) with a revamped single cylinder brake system and have had other issues but nothing in the way of all-out failure.

The genuine need for disks is not really an issue from what I can tell, lotsa guys used these things very hard for many years without them, and the disk brake conversion fad seems to be more of a muscle car thing that founds it's way into the big truck world.
Yeah, medium truck drum brakes are more than adequate for hauling a gooseneck. The weak point is the old hydraulic and booster components.

I pulled a log trailer with no brakes hooked up (military air/hydraulic), and never had any problems stopping except one ridiculously steep forest road that I had to haul out of. My outfit was barely able to even get up there empty, alternately kicking rocks and grabbing all the way up that grade. Coming down loaded, it took everything I could do standing on the brakes to keep from over-revving the engine in granny low! Stopping was out of the question for about a half mile but fortunately I never met any hunters coming up the road.

Also pulled a 50' MH across the mountains. I did have the electric brakes all hooked up but I don't think they worked much if any. I just idled down the pass in second gear.

I think the medium duty disc brakes came about because of school buses. There were some tragic accidents where apparently inexperienced drivers let a bus get into neutral going down hill, instead of starting down from the top in the correct gear and just leaving the dang thing alone
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote