View Single Post
Old 03-22-2020, 06:36 AM   #10
broberson

Re: 1970 C10 Battery/Alternator/External regulator issue

Hey again Vette, sorry I haven't updated in a bit. yes, I'm trying to wire an external regulator. The PO I bought the truck from had the wiring set up for an internal regulated alternator, but a mechanic mentioned to me in a previous setting that it was "magnetized" on the front, which I could verify, and he said that it needed to be replaced. That, in addition to the PO chopping up everything under the sun (horn would honk at any given time, he cut into the pink ignition wire and spliced in a radio), I tried to go back to the stock wiring.

I'm attaching the alternator I have now, in addition to the wiring I have set up (the RF plug I bought had different colored wires, so looking at the back of the alternator, blue from regulator is spliced with black, and white from regulator is spliced with blue). Could you tell me if the alternator is internal or externally regulated? I just bought it from O-O-O, Oreilly, about a week ago because I, in my ignorance, wasn't sure where the problem was.

What I've been able to make out from everything mentioned previously here, is that there isn't a signal from the external regulator to trigger the alternator to charge the battery, giving me the problem of draining the battery when the lights are running. Is that correct?

Following your guidance and rewiring for an internal regulator, and if I jump all the wires like you've graciously shown me, do I need to have a 10 ohm resistance wire going to the ignition switch? And which portion of the ignition switch should that go? To the acc just behind the purple wire?

I really appreciate all your help, you and everyone. I hope this isn't too jumbled and you can make out what I'm trying to get out of my head! hah
Attached Images

broberson is offline   Reply With Quote