View Single Post
Old 12-18-2022, 08:18 AM   #770
special-K
Special Order

Re: What did you do to your truck today??

You have to drive the Gov-Loc understanding how it works. They engage off of inertia, so once one wheel spins it will lock. If it engages while wheel speed is up under throttle it's a hell of a stress. That's where people blow them up. The one wheel doesn't have to be spinning that fast to engage. If you start to spin out just let it spin under minimum throttle till you feel it engage, then hit it as hard as you want. They are strong disengaged and engaged. It's how they engage that sets their fate.

People say the same thing about automatic locking hubs (on solid axle trucks) exploding. It's the same with those. Let them engage easy, then give it hell.

Both are convenience features designed for the way GM would like you to drive. Not hard core off road use. I've run Gov-Locs with 35" tires and it worked like a charm... and held up

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote