View Single Post
Old 06-19-2014, 07:05 PM   #14
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Re: Back with more questions!! sorry guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
I'll second that! The only thing worse is a 7" dual diaphragm. I put one on my car when I built it, but the brakes were just never right. They would stop the car, but if you got in a panic stop situation, it wasn't good enough at all. It was mounted under the floor, so no room for a bigger factory booster. I switched it to hydroboost and it was a night and day difference! It stops like a real car now, and I don't have that nagging thought in the back of my mind of "will I be able to stop in time if this guy in front of me stops suddenly without warning?" I had one close call on the freeway when a woman in front of the Astro van in front of me decided she didn't want to take that exit, and swerved back in front of the Astro van, he locks them up, and I tried, but ended up swerving to the left to miss him, luckily there was no one in that lane. Ironic part is the hydroboost I have now was off of an Astro!

But, back to the point, sounds like there's still air in the system. How are you bleeding it? Do you have a helper pushing the pedal for you?
Agree, it has air in the system....or possibly a small leak, that will give you the same feel? Check around all the fittings (banjos ,double check) I have seen, many times that the copper washers do not completely seal on the banjo fittings....because of a ruff casting/casting flashing on a rebuilt caliper & or, the replacement copper washers were not thick enough to compensate You can stack the copper washers , if you need to (not my 1st choice, but it does work)? Another couple of "messes" that I have seen , over the last 40 yrs, altho rare....a crack or pin hole in a rebuilt caliper, or a bleeder that was threaded crooked....check all you fittings/connections! It does not take a big puddle, to cause a big problem in the hydraulic system Best of fun, Longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote