View Single Post
Old 03-28-2009, 11:06 AM   #84
Bruce88

Re: It’s Just A Pickup

Two steps forward one step back (Not a new dance that anybody wants to do when measuring a builds progress)

The last two weeks my motivation level has been low, something that should take one day to do was not coming together and three days of work later was still not complete. Since I’m converting my step side to have a side mounted spare tire, the fender is from one truck and the spare mount is from another, bringing all the parts together things just didn’t want to line up with each other. These kinds of problems happen during builds and it’s always nice to find them before final assembly but it can be aggravating to solve and adds time to the build. (Not that I’m on a strict time line and have to have this truck done by a certain time)

The fender and bed side panel holes lined up pretty good but the aft two peace angled mounting brackets for the spare mount would not work. So I broke out my backyard mechanics design/engineering abilities (HA HA) and created some one peace angled mounting brackets. With the new bracket I will need to cut a square hole in the top of the fender and plan on using a “U” shape grommet cut from a side marker light grommet (shown below) to finish off the hole and prevent metal to metal rubbing.

The CB antenna and cables came in and made sure that it would clear everything. This 2 foot long CB antenna will be the only antenna on the truck it will be doing double duty as a AM/FM and CB antenna by using a antenna cable splitter. Yes a taller antenna would work better but I want to pull my truck into the garage without having to remove the antenna, well see how good it works when the trucks all together.

Parts and material used
4 foot of 1 in x 1 in x 11 gauge angle plate steel
1 foot of 1 in x 1 in square bar
150-18 Peterson side marker grommet (for fender grommet)
Model FS2-B Firestik II 2 foot, 5/8 wave, Rated@300watts, Antenna
Model K-14M Firestik Ball Mount
Model AR-1A Firestik Match-Maker CB/AM/FM Antenna Splitter
Model K-8 Fire-Flex 18 foot single Antenna Coaxial Cable

Name:  Spare-Mount-1a.jpg
Views: 12822
Size:  97.1 KB

Name:  Spare-Mount-2a.jpg
Views: 11763
Size:  92.1 KB

You are probably tired of seeing my spare tire mount, it’s taken up the last three posts but I’m just showing what is happening with the build over the time and this area has definitely had more problems and time consuming than I expected. My next post will definitely be another area of the build.

Hope your delays in your builds are short, and any problems that you have are solved quickly, so that your builds progress smoothly.