View Single Post
Old 11-29-2023, 06:41 AM   #8
mr48chev

Re: Trailer hitch for a 1955-59 3100 4x4

I towed my 15 ft camp trailer and my grandfather's old camp trailer all over the PNW with my 48 and my 51 Mercury and never had law enforcement look sideways at it. Part of that with a ball in the step bumper on the 48. The same step bumper I towed a 16 ft U haul from Texas with in 1977. That was a mistake because the loaded trailer was way too heavy for the truck. The hitch didn't look sketcy and I had coil spring overloads between the axle and the frame though. We built a hitch for the Merc and used the same overload springs off the truck on it. I never went into Canada though.

I'm not going to tow anything very heavy with it anymore though. We have been thinking about getting a small newer camp trailer that is self contained to travel with and the ones I am looking at aren't that heavy.

My plan is to build my hitch in with my tube rear crossmember and actually have the hitch hidden behind the license plate when I am not towing and the hitch will come out over and past the bumper

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote