View Single Post
Old 07-13-2021, 08:25 PM   #51
_Ogre

Re: Who Sells This Under Dash Valence?

Quote:
Now: Where do I find the "Idiot's Guide To Making Fiberglas Parts" How to pull this all together?
ask and ye shall receive

seriously, just ask away. i did all of my fiberglass in a finished painted cab, no doors or interior, but everything i did inside or under hood was in a finished cab. gotta remember that i did the column cover, valence (fascia), console and sub enclosure as one piece of artwork.

look at this pic to see the bones of my fascia/column cover, light stuff is wood, dark stuff is cardboard mailing tube. i started out with a few brackets that were welded to the dash for a simple sheetmetal fascia that sorta sucked. i made a plywood L with a couple dados cut to staple cardboard into.

the tube is 4", i cut it into half and quarter radiuses on the table saw and started stapling, gluing and taping in place. i went thru a lot of supper glue during fiberglass work. start shaping and taping until you like the shape. it's pretty easy and vey time consuming and maybe a little addictive...

the compound curve used the tube inside for the top and pie cut tube on the bottom; there's 12 pieces just in the left side of the fascia

the column cover uses a piece of mdf for the top U, mdf squares for mounting blocks to the column and half tube piece. this is the first full layer of 3/4 oz matt (used for all my glass work), there are probably 4 or 5 layers of 3/4 oz matt on the fascia and console. 7 to 9 layers of 3/4oz matt on the sub enclosure

most of my tape, wood and cardboard is still there as part of the structure impregnated with resin. some of the cardboard was removed
Attached Images

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is online now   Reply With Quote