View Single Post
Old 02-12-2022, 11:38 AM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Which generation easiest to swap?

I have not done one, but I have dreamt of doing one.

The 60-72 years are the easiest, but still cutting the firewall is a typical option people follow. Or they move the radiator in front of the core support, and it gets crowded. Myself I would remove the cab, and set the engine where I want. Then lower the cab, and start the surgery.

The earlier trucks are narrower cabs. And yes people.have done it too. But real-estate aka foot room gets a bit tight. So alot of people do 4 cylinder swaps on those among the reasons.

The 6bt is a big girl, and luckily plenty of people have done it. So find the formula you like, and copy + paste. The reason some cut and some don't basically is. Either way you go you get a set of problems to deal with. Cutting the cab solves oil pan cross member issues. Moving the engine forward solves firewall issues. The reason I would cut the firewall is so some of the engine's mass is shifted to the rear for a better handling experience.

Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

Finnegans garage did a swap on the ramp truck which is a pretty good brochure on them. Plus there has to be several in depth swaps on YouTube besides forums.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote