The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM   #51
Accelo

Re: When was the first time you had anything to do with a

My first and last VW, I owned, was a Fast=Back. I purchased it with a blown motor in the 70's. I repaired the motor Required line boring of the case.
Between 18 and 21 I spent a lot of time in Canada, drinking age was 18 and we had friends there.
I remember driving through Seattle, on my way back for Canada. It would do 75 that was it. Bumper to bumper traffic on I5 at 75 is about as scary as it gets.. I am sure the suspension was worn out but it was a POS.
Ending up trading it to a friend for a 56 Ford truck. Then the VW burnt to the ground. I was a passenger it it at the time. We smelled fuel and my friend attempted to make it to the pull off maybe 50 yards ahead.
We didn't make it, the fuel ignited and flames shot out both front windows 3 feet, according to the truck driver behind us. It had a prop rod so we couldn't get a fire extinguisher on the base of the flames.
Every time we would attempt to open the bottom of the truck air would get to the fuel and it would flair up. Turns out hood hinges are a good thing in a fire.
Last VW I ever will own.

Last edited by Accelo; Yesterday at 03:14 PM.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:47 PM   #52
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: When was the first time you had anything to do with a

Yeah, the fuel supply to the pump was gravity feed, so that flex hose was a maintenance item. I replaced them as a matter of course when servicing VWs, if they were the least bit hard. 50¢ worth of hose; I didn't even put it on the bill.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote