The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2015, 01:58 PM   #1
JMD

My 67 k20 Build

Been lurking around here for a couple of years, finally have the time and the funds to really start working on my project! I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions as this thing progresses, and this board looks like a great source of info. A good friend of mine built a very nice '66 c10, so this is my way of one-upping him I believe he's a member of this forum too, so I'm sure he'll be sticking his big ugly head in here to give me some crap sooner or later. He's been a huge help so far so I'll try not to rag on him too much.

The truck started out as a '67 k20 that was half way through a 454 swap. Turns out that 90% of the truck was junk and the only usable parts were the drive-train and the hood, everything else is being replaced.

Anyway, we picked up a '71 K10 frame from Kentucky that had been cut to a swb. I've always wanted a short bed truck, and I don't have a need or the space for a lwb at this point.

The frame was a sand blasted...

Also had some rust repaired under the rear drivers side leaf spring hanger...

I didn't trust the welds that the PO made when the frame was shortened, so that section of the frame was boxed...

And the whole thing was coated with Chassis Saver satin black.
JMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 02:15 PM   #2
JMD

Re: My 67 k20 Build

Next I had to swap the Eaton HO52 rear and the Dana 44 front axles under the new frame. Both sets of axles had their brakes and seals replaced. I decided it would be cheaper (and lot cooler) to go with rear disks. I picked up a set of caliper brackets from Ruff Stuff Specialties as well as disks and calipers for a '75 K20. I haven't gotten them bolted up yet, but it should work great and it was about half the cost of going with drums.

Here's a few random pictures of that process.

In that first picture you can see a couple of the 2.5" Skyjacker lift springs that will hopefully be under the truck by the end of next week! Should have a rolling chassis by then.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:41 PM   #3
Bladeboy1998

Sweet! Love more k20 builds!! Keep it up
Bladeboy1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:21 PM   #4
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Thumbs up Re: My 67 k20 Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladeboy1998 View Post
Sweet! Love more k20 builds!! Keep it up
X2
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:38 PM   #5
franken

Nice.
Are you going to use a parking brake? Eldo calipers or a TC brake if any?
I don't see a TC in any of the pics, or a trans. Plans there?
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:56 PM   #6
JMD

No plans for a parking brake at this point, I know I'm going to get harassed for saying that but oh well. No trans brake either. I have a th400 to throw it, but I'm seriously considering the 4l80e. It'll be about $1700 more, but having OD and being able to set shift points would be fantastic... On the other hand I could have the th400 in there for under $200 and I'll be on the road a whole lot faster. I'll have to reach a decision within a couple weeks so I'll keep ya posted.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2015, 11:52 PM   #7
JMD

Ran into a couple issues so progress has been a little slow, but we do have progress! I finally got the old nasty cab out of the barn to make room for the less rusty, big back window cab. Turns out these cabs fit perfectly in a 60" bucket. BTW, the '67 small window cab is for sale. Typical Michigan rust, it can be saved but it will need a floor, rockers, and all that other fun stuff. I didn't feel like dealing with it so it has to go.

Already got the new cab filled with junk.

Finally finished up painting the frame and hanging the springs...

And then the Dana 44 front was bolted on...

I don't know how I forget about this, but the spring perches and shock mounts are spaced differently on 1/2tons and 3/4tons. Since I'm using a '71 k10 frame with '67 k20 axles, I had to do some modifications to make it all work. Woulda been nice to have a cutting torch for this, it took eight 4.5" cutoff wheels to get it all cleaned up.

That's as far as I got this weekend, I'll have the new perches welded on by Monday night! Then it's just a matter of bolting the axle to the springs and we'll have a rolling frame again...Finally.

Then I'll get this bad boy all spiffed up and ready to drop in
Old 06-21-2015, 08:19 AM   #8
68panelman

This looks like fun, I'm in.
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 01:32 PM   #9
JMD

Finally got around to opening the 454, and I'm pretty happy with what I found. The guy I bought it from mentioned that he had it completely rebuilt by a local speed shop 4 years ago but never got around to starting it. To be honest I didn't believe him, but as it turns out he was telling the truth. There's still assembly lube and paint marks all over the place.

Even the water jackets were spotless! And I'm happy to see that I have the oval port heads rather than the peanut ports that I was expecting.

I ran into a big problem again, and once again it was because I'm trying to mix and match parts. I have a nice TH400 that I was planning to use, unfortunately I have an NP205 transfer case that will only except a 27 spline output shaft An adapter kit is $475 and I can't justify dropping that amount of cash at this point.

The TH350 that came with the truck will have to do for now. I'm thinking it will be okay behind the 454, for a while anyway.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:06 AM   #10
JMD

This is how I left it in August when I left for a job in ND. Looking forward to returning home in a couple days so I can finally hear her run!