The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-27-2021, 02:42 PM   #1
Kudzupatch

Battery chargers

I have just gone through my 3rd battery charger in roughly 6 years. I am averaging 2 years and they die.

No more Schumacher Electric for me! They used to be great but the ones I have gotten are CRAP.

Mine left me stranded last night. Forgot and left the door open in the shop. This morning it is dead and no way to get another car in to jump it.Had to borrow a charger to get it out.

Looking for recommendations. I really only need a trickle charger. 10 amps is fine thought wouldn't mind one a bit larger with a quick charge feature. Really just want one that will last more than 2 years of occasional use.
Kudzupatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 05:29 PM   #2
cadillac_al

Re: Battery chargers

I have a couple oldies saved on facebook marketplace. I like older ones but I have several newer ones. I never had a problem with shumaker except the gauges always die. I would buy an older used one for $20 or less.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 07:08 PM   #3
Thealien

C Tek
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 10:06 PM   #4
franken

Relatively dumb chargers are typically a stepdown transformer, current limiting resistors, and a bridge rectifier either in a package or four diodes. Chances are with a bit of effort and a DVM, they can be fixed for just a couple bucks.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:07 AM   #5
Killer Bee

surprised to hear that about schumacher, we've got chargers older than me still kickin on the farm..

we use snap-on, century, schumacher, etc at work, mostly wheel chargers for larger trucks and heavy equipment.. most of them, even the napas last for years even with regular shop use/abuse..

smart chargers with at least 4 stage charging and maintainers are good options for long term storage but nothing beats a good booster for situations like you described where you need a jump and the cord reaches places another vehicle won't..

something else to consider is the condition of the batteries in your fleet.. if they're old and tired, going to difficult to keep them performing adequately no matter what kind of charger you buy..

here's some reading that might help you reach a solution - good luck!

Best car battery chargers for 2021

Century Battery Chargers

Snap-on Battery Chargers
Old 05-28-2021, 09:06 AM   #6
Kudzupatch

I am surprised two but after 3 I am done. They used to last for years.

I really wish I had an old style one and I am going to watch FB Marketplace for one. But will probably have to buy one sooner than latter.
Kudzupatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 04:20 PM   #7
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudzupatch View Post
I am surprised two but after 3 I am done. They used to last for years.

I really wish I had an old style one and I am going to watch FB Marketplace for one. But will probably have to buy one sooner than latter.
Battery charger circuits are basic in design.. A transformer, some resistors and a rectifier.. Some fancy ones may have a timer circuit.. Remove the cover and break out the DVM.. Could be something as simple as a blown fuse..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 02:37 AM   #8
Richard

A few years back when the transformer in my old reliable charger finally smoked I purchased a couple of Optima "intelligent" battery chargers. Both the small and large unit. Seem to work fine. I use them to charge my lead acid batteries as well. The smaller unit has brought back some batteries thought unusable. Do not have boost but I have something for emergency starts.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote