The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2023, 02:34 PM   #1
mike's1965

Fast ratio steering box

My 1965 C10 has mix of ‘65 and ‘74 C10 steering parts I put together with disc brakes years ago.

The 1974 C10 steering box has a pretty big leak where the steering shaft mounts, looking at seal kits and rebuilt/new gear boxes on rock auto, saw a new unit that has fast steering ratio.

Would this just make it easier to do wide turns to be more lazy, or is it for better steering performance?

Wondering if it was an option on new 1973-1987 C10 when new.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...g+gear,7416The
mike's1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 06:15 PM   #2
AcampoDave

Re: Fast ratio steering box

I cut and copied this from this forum posted by another member named 68c10airstream

First c10, went to auto schooling in the late 70's. Favorite 800 saginaw box is right under the hood of 76-80's gm trucks. It's called variable ratio, (not variable pressure as stated in hemmings article) 3 1/2 turns lock to lock. This variable ratio is the end result of over reacting quick ratio boxes in corvettes at high speed. The truck variable ratio box reacts slower from straight ahead through 1/4 turn left/right/ After that it's ratio speeds up to a quicker fixed rate. This variable ratio box info is stated on the glove box lid. If the 2 steering boxes were taken apart the difference is obvious. The pitman shaft as viewed from above when the 4 bolt cover is removed is this way; fixed ratio and the 3 teeth are the same length, the 3 teeth on the variable ratio has the center tooth is very obviously longer then the tooth on either side. If i had one i would remove the cover and show you but it's in my truck. Stay away from 1996 and newer boxes as they went to an easy steer function and it's way too much assist, you can steer it with one pinky finger. I suggest 76 and newer to get o ring style line fitting inside the box but it can be dealt with by other means. If you plan to autocross then in my opinion this probably isn't for you, but otherwise this variable ratio box is probably the most unknown under rated, least understood box ever made, and i love them. I've read articles about the variable ratio to help with parking, blah, blah,blah, but i will never be convinced after overhauling both styles and driving both styles in trucks. Hope this info helps this late in the thread, good luck. should add that the variable ratio at higher speeds is a pleasure to drive because it isn't twitchy like a quick box is. Another words relax and enjoy the ride at 100 mph as i have done. There is only one box for me, ha ha.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 06:56 PM   #3
AcampoDave

Re: Fast ratio steering box

I have that type of box in my '66. It does not have the o-ring hose seals he mentions but instead having traditional flared non-metric threaded hose fittings.
When shopping for the box I highly recommend Redhead Steering Gears. They do them up right here in the USA in their own shop. They do cost more but the difference is noticeable as they have zero play in them. I'll never mess around buying one anywhere else again myself.
Edit: if you do reach out to Redhead, just call them it seems they're more on the old school side and do better that way than on line.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote