The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-26-2002, 02:01 AM   #1
jiggs
poker face

suspension swap

This has probably been beaten to death but...Iwant disk brakes in the front. I was thinking of swapping the complete front suspension from a '78 Chev 1/2 ton into my '68. Including the crossmember, springs, pockets, A arms etc.. Is this possible and if so, is there any gain from just swapping the spindles. The whole thing is getting tore apart anyway, so there won't be much more work to put the newer pieces on. Thanks!!
jiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 10:43 AM   #2
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

The complete assy will fit,& is probably the way to go if the truck is apart. The biggest advantage is that you will have all the pcs of the same truck(no guessing on parts). For the guys with the eng still in place, I feel that doing spindles is a better route,& there are aftermarket pcs available for that type swap. good luck.....AL
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 12:53 PM   #3
Low69CST

You can replace the crossmembers with a newer truck. But if you are planning on replacing all the bushings, calipers, rotors, bearings, ect in this later model crossmember. I think you would be better off to just use 67-70 discs spindles. If your ball joints, tire rods are good then there is no sense tearing them apart.
Quad Suspension and Dual Tanks
Low69CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 03:41 PM   #4
Southpa

I did a complete front end swap (70 to 71) with the engine still in place. It went very well. I left the engine towers on the engine and used a 1 ft. square piece of plywood on a jack under the oilpan to support the engine. Make sure all of this is BEHIND the center of the front x-member. Then use another jack to take down the old front end and put up the new one. It helps to pull the inner fenders first too.

Just make sure the donor front end has better components than what you are replacing.

You can wish in one hand and crap in the other.
See which one gets filled first.
Southpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 07:01 PM   #5
jiggs
poker face

Well the '68 suspension is in a state of disrepair. The '78 was a running and driving truck. The '68 is getting everthing new from the ground up. This swap will give me everything in the front the same, disk brakes, and a lot more choices in the aftermarket for lowering etc.. Does it make sense in your opinions to swap everthing, if the truck and frame are all in pieces anyway?
Old 07-26-2002, 09:36 PM   #6
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

being that you already have the 78 parts, it would be the most economical way to use them.......much cheaper than aftermarket parts. good luck.......Al
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 11:39 PM   #7
Dean23
68cst_ss490

I did a swap using a 79 front memeber and it was simple. I just had to drill 2 holes and oblong 2 others. I wouldn't do it any other way.especially since the front x member only cost me a 40 oz of appleton estates rum
2005 Chevrolet Avalanche LT
cold air intake, performance exhaust, Comp cams cam, jba shorty ceramic headers.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3090973
Dean23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 02:41 AM   #8
jiggs
poker face

Thanks for the help guys! I am really liking this board; fast answers and the answers I want to hear. Much appreciated!