The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > S10 S15 Luv Blazer

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2009, 06:51 PM   #1
71'tahoe

How bout another beat to death thread?

I know there are countless books and mags and threads on the net about v-8 s series trucks. But here is what I want to know.

For the 2wd guys

1) What style headers are you running? and be serious about whether you like them and are happy with them.

2) what exhaust manifolds acutally work?

3) What did you do for a y pipe?

For the 4wd guys

1) same as number 1 above?

2) same as above number 2

3) Howd you do your exhaust as far as routing it around the front d shaft?

The reason for these questions. Im v-8ing my 91 sonoma that is 2wd. I want more power,but I dont want to go through 6 manufactures headers to find the right ones. I dont mind exhaust manifolds.But I prefer headers as this is a mild custom that is driven alot. I have taken it to shows,so I would like the clean look of headers. It is the flamed truck in my avatar. I just dont want leaky headers.
I have used headmans shorties and had to cut the floor for clearance for the exhaust. So unless they have improved in the last ten years they are not an option.

Part 2 of these questions, Im thinking about installing a vortec 350 in a 97' olds bravada w/ all wheel drive that has a bad 4.3 vortec in it. This one is also a daily driver and I want it to be dead nutz reliable,I dont want to change the leaky exhaust gaskets.

I am a member of several s-10 forums but I feel better asking on here instead. Thanks for any help ya'll can give.

Last edited by 71'tahoe; 07-05-2009 at 06:53 PM.
71'tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Re: How bout another beat to death thread?

I have a 1987 long bed that came with a 2.8 and a 5 speed. I used Hedman's shorty swap headers with the Trans Dapt motor mounts to install a 383 Chevy SB and a TH350 trans. The headers were a royal PIA until I finally got around to extending them. I'll try and find some pictures to show you what I did. Now I can access the collectors without using language unfit for most humans.

My passenger side exhaust runs straight back, the driver's side runs just past the trans cross member then goes across to run along side the passenger pipe. The Flowmaster 50 series mufflers are run side by side under the bed, tailpipes dump just before the axle. Yes, it is entirely too loud in the cab.

What would I do different? Bone stock V8, 700R4, exhaust manifolds, quiet stock type mufflers. When I finish my current project the S-10 will probably get the changes I mentioned. I can never remember which stock manifolds work.

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'30 Model A Pickup, suicide front end, 350, 350, traditional style hot rod.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:18 PM   #3
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Here's a picture of the header alteration. I spent the better part of a day getting the fit right. I can remove/install both sides fairly easy. The oil filter has to be removed for the drivers side header to be removed/installed.
Attached Images

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'30 Model A Pickup, suicide front end, 350, 350, traditional style hot rod.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:20 AM   #4
BarryB

I'm using the manifolds from a 90 Camaro, because I am also using a newer block with the passenger oil dipstick. you'll have trouble with fitment if your using a driverside dipstick block.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:52 PM   #5
71'tahoe

S10 fan,
I did the same thing to the ones I used on a friends build.Thats why i refuse to buy hedmans..why buy them if you have to cut them.... Have you seen the tight tuck edelbrocks..they basically do the same, but arent avalible for s-10 swaps.

Barry B,
I will be using a 88' blazer fuelie 350 in the 91 sonoma,since it is a 4.3 tbi I can use my stock harness and transmisson. Just have to get a v-8 chip for it. 90 camaro...I may have a set of 89' camaro..I could use those in the bravada..

Thanks guys the help is appreciated.
71'tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:43 AM   #6
Myself

I'm not sure why everyone is having trouble with the Hedman shorties.? I've had mine on my Blazer for about 6 years and never had any problems. I did however build my own motor mounts. My bro-in-law copied my mounts and ran shorties also. So, maybe it's a mount problem, and not a header problem. I'm running a mild built 305 sitting on stock 2.8 frame mounts. 700R4 trans sitting on the factory x-member, and stock uncut driveshaft. I'm also still using the stock column shifter. My radiator is in the stock location and if I were using a swp setup I could put a flex fan on there. I am currently running lwp setup with 2-12" pusher fans mounted in front of the rad. NOTE: USING FLYWHEEL AND STARTER FROM EARLY EIGHTIES CAMARO GIVES MORE CLEARANCE AT THE STARTER. Especially important if running headers. I have never had a starter heatsoak problem. My wifes 350 motivated S10 is using motor mounts for '69 Camaro and custom built frame mounts. The Th350 is sitting on a custom built x-member. The Headman 3 piece long tube headers will point straight out at the factory x-member. They are also a p.i.t.a. to mount up, and the p.side has to be removed to access the starter. A remote oil filter adapter should also be used. They make great power, and look way cool! Spark plug access is also much better than the shorties. They still tuck up in the frame nice so ground clearance is not really an issue. I used a swp setup on her truck and it is running a flex fan with 4 core radiator in the stock location. I also recommend a nice aluminum HV water pump for the swap, it makes a big difference on a daily driver. True duals on both so a Y-pipe is not needed. The 80's Corvette manifolds are supposed to work nice. I know the 82-92 Camaro/Firebird manifolds work. Probably most early 80's rwd V8 GM manifolds will work. Some mount over the plugs, some mount under the plugs. I personally like the design of the Hedman shorties and have no complaints about reaching collector bolts. A couple of the plugs are tough to access but no big deal compared to a lot of newer stock vehicles. I hope this helps.
Myself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:43 AM   #7
MotorHead Lon

I'm using a set of lo-performance manifolds on my Blazer. I think they are off of a Caprice. I have no clearance issues and the firewall isnt cut or hammered.

For a contrast I took some pics of a V-8 S-10 at a show and IMO the manifold is too close to the steering shaft.

98 Crew Cab Dually, tow rig.

03 Dodge Neon. ECTA Ohio Mile record holder.

Last edited by MotorHead Lon; 04-29-2010 at 04:20 PM.
MotorHead Lon is offline   Reply With Quote