The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
Bhelton

67 brake help

Buddy of mine just got a 67 and brakes are beyond shot! He wants disk brakes all the way around and has a set of 5 lug wheels in garage and 6 lug on truck...so either lug pattern is a option. Anyone make a complete kit with out hidden needs?
Bhelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: 67 brake help

Check out www.earlyclassic.com

They have the spindles (stock or dropped) that you need for the disc brake conversion. I believe they also market a rear disc conversion.

There are others who sell similar stuff. I just like ECE and that's where my conversion stuff came from 10 years ago. I still am running drums out west on my truck. As an aside, there's also a drum brake setup for these trucks that uses a 2 1/2-inch wide shoe, compared to the 2-inch shoes that most use.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Also keep in mind that most stock wheels for these trucks will not clear the disc brake calipers.So if he goes to a 6 lug disc setup the wheels will probably have to be changed unless he already has Rallies or aftermarket 6 lugs.Most of the 5 lugs I have seen fit.There are also tons of ways to go disc.Do a search and you will find so many options that it will confuse you.Rear discs aren't in my plan since the rear of these trucks are usually light enough that "I" don't think they are needed.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
Bhelton

Both sets of wheels are factory rallies, so should he be looking for wheels?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-02-2012, 10:21 PM   #5
TrixR4Kids

Jumping in on this tread, looking for the same info for a '68..
Old 11-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
Bhelton

ok....so what i have found that this conversion is goin to run around $1500-$1700 with all new components. The sad part is i have brand new drop spindles, 5 lug rotors (cross drilled and slotted),etc etc that is useless to me so if anyone is in need of them let me know. I have found that most front end kits are $1000 plus new brake line kit, rear brakes and what ever else i decide to replace. If anyone has any questions on the stuff i have pm me.

Master Power brakes built my kit for the 71 i am building and i may call them and see what i can get a kit from them for....stay tuned
Old 11-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #7
Bhelton

Update

Ok so what I ended up doing is going to my buddy at master power brakes and got the front disk conversion for $1000, went home and used discount code after discount code on advance auto website and saved $100 on rear brake parts and suspension parts including new ball joints and shocks....my total at advance was $160 after 4 separate purchases. Oreillys carried the rear drums cheaper than anyone and also carried the adjustment hardware and that bill was $123. Last stop was at Dave's truck parts and picked up stainless line kit, 3 of the 4 e brake cables and a rear hose, new windshield gasket, and all the parts I need to convert gas pedal to cable instead of linkage....spent $480 there.

So in reality I have around $1550 in all new brakes including new stainless lines and e brake cables.....bonus is I found a solid and complete 68 truck for $800 that I'm goin to try and pick up in next few weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device