The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM   #1
cst350

Exhaust too loud

Got a visit from the local Code enforcement. Actually a pretty cool guy. We talked for @ an hour about the good days at Fremont Raceway a cruising in San Mateo in the 80's. Problem is I seem to have racked up quite a few complaints from my neighbors. All started when I put a QA-1 rear suspension on my 69 and had to cut off the tail pipes before the axle. There doesnt seem to be any way of getting past the panhard bars. Currently I have Hedman 3/4 headers to 2.5" tubing. Crossover and Spintec 300XLP (which have a 16" case) and turn downs right before the axles angled 45 deg.

Soooo... I am thinking of trying to get the quietest and largest mufflers (high quality) I can fit.

From my reading I have it down to

Dynomax Super Turbo 17749- 25" long (20" case)

Magnaflow 12577 - 28" long - 22" case

Anyone have any experience with these? The Dynomax is shorter so it might be better for install.
cst350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:22 PM   #2
72c20customcamper

Re: Exhaust too loud

Since when can code enforcement officers be used for a V&T compliant ? I can see your generator or using impact tools at odd hours but your car should have been a police officer and they can’t go by someone complaining they actually need to see or hear an offense
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM   #3
72c20customcamper

NY went on a blitz last year on loud exhaust violations on motorcycles ,cars and trucks . They issued 100s of tickets in a short time . Problem was they all got tossed because the violation requires the use of a decibel meter placed a certain number of feet from the car and then the car is to be revved to 2000 rpm and the reading taken . No police cars have the equipment in them requires two police officers and the owners permission for one officer to be in the car /truck or on the motorcycle applying the throttle . Ya that’s gunna happen the judge who decided the case tossed every summons and revoked any that people plead guilty to or convicted of . The judge also ruled that excessive noise cannot be at the police officers discretion as to if the exhaust was too loud
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.

Last edited by 72c20customcamper; Yesterday at 03:36 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM   #4
72c20customcamper

I had Pypes race pro mufflers on my Chevelle took them off because they were super quiet called Pypes and they confirmed that they were in fact quieter than the street pro muffler but still had great flow characteristics but were quiet because of track restrictions on noise . I replaced them with the street pros not loud at low throttle but has a nice tone when punching the gas . I do have electric cutouts for when the time dictates it.
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM   #5
cst350

72C20customcamper: Yeah, he couldn't give me a ticket.

Fact is, my son built the engine and I let him pick the exhaust too. In my 20's I would have loved it... in all honesty It's pretty damn loud!

I'll look into the Pypes mufflers

Anyone else have a recommendation?
cst350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM   #6
LS short box

I have a 98 Wrangler with a LS6/4L60E swap. I'm running the large length wise 3" Dyno Max turbo muffler listed above. Nice rumble but not loud. Zero drone at speed.
Don't know if it works for you but I typically build my exhaust from tubing from the local muffler guy and boxes of bends from summit.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM   #7
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Smile Re: Exhaust too loud

one of my former coworkers has a 71 3/4 ton 2wd, looks like a basic grandpa truck right down to the stock rims. under the hood was a different story altogether, a pumped 502 with 3" duals, he wanted it louder than his 10 series flowmasters so i ordered him a set of wicked flow mufflers and turned the tailpipes out in front of the rear tires with 4" gun sight tips. it was LOUD but the neighborhood where he lives has an HOA so every time he fired it up his neighbors would file a complaint so i had to tone it down just a little. gotta love living in that type of neighborhood.
i would go with the dynomax and if possible put tailpipes out the side or at least angle the turndowns toward the outside of the truck to help cut down on the resonance noise.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:36 PM   #8
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

I have a pair of 70 series under my 73 - rowdy sbc 300° roller cam 10-1 compression.
And nobody complains
Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM   #9
Accelo

Interestingly, the HOA had the power to do something that the police didn't.
I don't have an issue with being reasonably loud during the daytime.
The issue is the idiots that go by at 2 am in their vehicles getting on and off the throttle.
Or the diesels that don't have anything past the turbo.
I like to sleep with the window up.
Frankly, I like to sleep at night.

When I used to consult and stayed at a hotel near a fish processing plant.
The shift got off at 2:30 am. A guy on a two-stroke powered skateboard left work every night with this board.
I don't believe it even had a muffler on it, crazy loud. I bet he woke up several hundred people every night there on Hotel Row.
This went on until I emailed every single person on the Newport City council one night. Finally ended after that.

I don't know what happened to Reasonable.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM   #10
truckster

I have Magnaflow 16" straight-through mufflers. Nice sound but not excessively loud.
Old Yesterday, 06:20 PM   #11
custom10nut

Why do you still live in one of the Communist States.
Their aim is to rid the roads of all Internal Combustion Engine powered vehicles, and they’re concentrating on the “Old” ones, in the name of “Public Safety” (Kinda like the Covid Circus Lie).
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM   #12
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom10nut View Post
Why do you still live in one of the Communist States.
Their aim is to rid the roads of all Internal Combustion Engine powered vehicles, and they’re concentrating on the “Old” ones, in the name of “Public Safety” (Kinda like the Covid Circus Lie).
Yeah and you can drive your hot rods 10 months a year. Until they ban us, I'm ok here
Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM   #13
72c20customcamper

I just installed the blueprint 350 with Headman shorty headers . Hooked up to Magnaflow street series x pipe exhaust . And it’s really quiet at idle and with a few blips of the throttle. Haven actually driven as of yet hope to next week . Much quieter than than the generic glass packs that were on the truck .

Been to North California really liked it . Southern not so much
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM   #14
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I have the Dynomax Super Turbos 17747's, a little shorter than the 17749's, and had them installed in 2015 just after I bought the truck. Truck had the stock 350 4 bbl. and I used 2 1/4 pipes, with an H Pipe all the way to the back exiting behind the rear tires and nice sound and sounds better when u walk on it. Have done an engine swap, 400 SBC with a .030 bore, since and still using the same exhaust system with ram horn manifolds.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:45 PM   #15
chevmn

Just one of many reasons I no longer live within city limits, and now live where the closest neighbor is nearly a mile away. I was able to test and tune my big block truck with headers open and not a complaint. Sooner or later they are coming, small farms are being sold off and splitting up to build. But so far no codes or inspections here, so I have some freedoms. I lived for 25 years in a small town, and it was always something (loud exhaust, lawnmower blew grass onto the street, or I parked on the grass). Don't know how I tolerated it.
chevmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:33 AM   #16
Rambler62

Check into Car Chemistry exhaust tubes. No traditional muffler. they go inside exhaust pipe. I have them on my 70 GMC stepside with LS motor and very happy.
Rambler62 is offline   Reply With Quote