The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2014, 03:26 AM   #1
fast&low

Cool Help me with my build

Hello fellas
I'm a new member and new truck owner new member as I was just now today given the ok to post & new truck owner as I have only owned my truck for a week & a half.
It's a 69 Chevy C10 SWB fleetside pretty much stock other than shaved bumpers & corvette yellow paint.
Ok here we go, I already orderd a front disc swap kit & a 4/6 drop kit. So my next step is I love the big,wide & deep back wheel look on these trucks & I'm thinking either 20s/22s or 22s/24s with fronts 8/8.5 wide & rears 11-12 wide wheel setup depending on your recommendation?
Up front by what all of you are running I'm guessing 5/5.5 backspacing but the rear I have no clue??
I know I need to narrow the diff & mini tub & I will to get this look.
And guys before you judge me, let me tell you not only have I never done this before. But I also live in apartments that won't even let me change the oil in my car, so yes I will be paying someone to do this :/
So what I would love & appreciate is if anybody that reads this & has done this to there truck. If you can tell me your build sheet & show me your pictures that would be greatly appreciated.
How much did you narrow the diff?
How wide of a wheel & what backspacing did you go with?(looking for at least a 6inch lip)
What size tires?
But if you didn't have to narrow & tub for a deep lip that's even better!!!
How wide of a wheel & what backspacing for a deep lip?
If there is anything I left out plz tell me.
And plz guys I have looked up & read other posts on this subject but they are old postings & not all my questions were answered so plz don't judge or disrespect me in any way im just a newbie at classic trucks but I like doing things right the first time so if I can follow your recipe it will look good & be lighter on the pockets.
Thank you for looking & for your time
1969 Chevy C10 SWB fleetside
Chevy 350/700R4
Will very soon have front power disc brakes & 4/6 drop
fast&low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:00 AM   #2
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

Re: Help me with my build

Welcome to the forums.
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Decorating the whole town up at a cost of $27 ....
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:36 PM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Welcome to the forum fast&low. I think you will find this forum much more lenient on newbs than most others. I know you said you have looked, but there are some great build threads in the forums that will help you get a better understanding of what you want to do.

My first thought is how safe is your truck going to be while living in apartments? Do you have a garage? Considering your talking about 4-5k+ in tires and wheels, you better have a secure place to keep it.

If your wanting to step up to 22/24's I suggest you contact drops-R-us, Rhea's CheVys, or Reyna Bros Designs for local advice. They have built a lot of trucks running 24's and can tell you how much to narrow, and backspace needed.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:14 AM   #4
fast&low

Cool Re: Help me with my build

Thanx N2TRUX
I'll try those guy's & yeah I keep my toyz at my moms house & it's only a 3 car driveway with only covered parking no garage :/
But it does have a wrought iron fence though. You have a nice truck by the way!!
I changed my wheel size to 22x8 fronts & 22x12 backs
Is your bed mini tubbed & if it is who did the work for you?
I need to do mine I'm pretty good measuring and cutting but don't know how to weld so I'm thinking of cutting the bed all the way next to the frame & getting a new set of OE tubs to widen the originals that are on the truck now & just have someone weld them on for me or just price it all & have it done?
Fast&Low
1964 Chevelle/383 Stroker/200R4
1969 C10 SWB fleetside/Chevy 350/700R4
Old 02-02-2014, 04:21 PM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&low View Post
Thanx N2TRUX
I'll try those guy's & yeah I keep my toyz at my moms house & it's only a 3 car driveway with only covered parking no garage :/
But it does have a wrought iron fence though. You have a nice truck by the way!!
I changed my wheel size to 22x8 fronts & 22x12 backs
Is your bed mini tubbed & if it is who did the work for you?
I need to do mine I'm pretty good measuring and cutting but don't know how to weld so I'm thinking of cutting the bed all the way next to the frame & getting a new set of OE tubs to widen the originals that are on the truck now & just have someone weld them on for me or just price it all & have it done?
Fast&Low
1964 Chevelle/383 Stroker/200R4
1969 C10 SWB fleetside/Chevy 350/700R4
Check tire size availability for those 22x12's....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:14 PM   #6
fast&low

Good heads up SCOTI!!!
I appreciate that I guess I'm back to 24's in the rear Lol...
Old 02-04-2014, 10:53 PM   #7
rwade

Eric has 22X12's on tootsie. I think it was a 305/40/22, you'd have to check on that. But it's a reference to look at

Wade
rwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:35 PM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Check tire size availability for those 22x12's....
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&low View Post
Good heads up SCOTI!!!
I appreciate that I guess I'm back to 24's in the rear Lol...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwade View Post
Eric has 22X12's on tootsie. I think it was a 305/40/22, you'd have to check on that. But it's a reference to look at
Wade
I havent looked in a while, but I had no luck locating a wide 22 for the rear. Let me clarify that I am anal about things matching, and couldnt find a wide rear that had a matching or even similar front.

No, my 77 is not tubbed. Take a look at n2billets build for info on wide fender tubs and mods to the inner bedside for additional clearance.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:44 PM   #9
rwade

I believe Perelli tire makes a 335/25/22 that would work with a 265/30/22 on front. They are pricy but would work

Wade
Old 02-05-2014, 10:09 PM   #10
fast&low

Yeah I was thinking why would they make a 22x12 wheel if you can't get rubber for them?
But I did just a quick search & came up empty so I guess I'll keep looking
Old 02-05-2014, 10:38 PM   #11
rwade

Not sure what size your looking for, but I searched e-bay for a 335/25/22 and found several for $350-$400 a tire

Wade
Old 02-06-2014, 10:21 PM   #12
fast&low

Wade I appreciate it
And as far as tire size I'm still clueless on the matter?
I just know the wheel size I want. You see, I was going to purchase a 71 Cheyenne in Oklahoma & it had a 22x8 & 24x12 setup & I just fell in love with that look!!
I ended up not getting the truck because it was missing the vin tags & yeah I think it's stolen too.
But anyway, I now own a 69 C10 that is as stock as can be & I need to get started on it.
So far I ordered a 4/6 drop kit & a 6 to 5 bolt pattern disc brake kit & next is to narrow the diff 2" on each side & mini tub it & get tires/wheels
I was really hoping to get input on tires size & wheel backspacing for this set up?
I know someone out there has this setup on there truck.
I'm just looking for a lowered stance truck with 22" wheels with a 5"-6" lip in the back & if someone built this look without narrowing & tubbing the back I'm down with that too. That's just more money for other parts in my pockets
Thank you guys & keep giving your input I'm all ears
Old 02-06-2014, 10:45 PM   #13
rwade

My advice to you to save yourself a lot of heartache is to buy your wheels with the backspace you want and narrow your rear and tub it accordingly. If you want the maximum lip with a 10" wide rear the 2" per side should work ( with a 4.25" backspace). If you have the desire for a 12" wide rear the tub and rear end set up you mentioned will not be enough. Ie: grief and a lot of $!!! I had a 12" before the 14's I have now and I think (could be wrong ) mine was 3.75" off each side with a 4.25" backspace. I looked but I can't find any with the 12's on my iPad.

Wade
Old 02-06-2014, 11:16 PM   #14
fast&low

Wade
Just to be sure I read right?
Your saying if I just go with a 10" wide wheel in the rear & narrow my diff 2" I can have the big lip with 4.25" backspacing?
Would I still have to tub the bed?
Just making sure
Old 02-06-2014, 11:27 PM   #15
rwade

If you run a 10" with minimum rear backspace you should get away with not tubbing. If you run the 12" it is a must. Either way for the most lip you go for on either width you will narrow the rear end. I'd recommend buying your wheels and pulling your rear end out, then put the wheels into the wheel well where you want them and measure from back of rim to back of rim before narrowing the rear end ( on the 10" ). If you buy the 12" you'll have to trim the bed floor before you can get the wheel/tire in there ( but you'll have to do that anyway when you'd tub it ). I used others advice to let me know what's possible but in the end I trust my tape measure, especially since I'm the one spending the $. I will be glad to help with any info I can provide.

Wade
Old 02-06-2014, 11:44 PM   #16
fast&low

Thank you Wade
Just for grins if you had to start over again on a 69 SWB fleet side would you go 20/22, 22 on all 4 corners or 22/24 with a 4/6 drop & what size tires & I know it's my truck but I trust your opinion I see your truck its gorgeous!!
And on the front 5" backspacing is good rt?
Old 02-07-2014, 10:04 AM   #17
rwade

I would probably do 22's all around if your not going to bag it. I don't usually stagger my wheel diameters. That's just my preference though. On the next truck I'll be doing it will be 22's front & rear. On the front, with any drop I'd say 5 1/2" backspace on an 8.5" wheel at least. Maybe 5 3/4' depending on how much drop

Wade
Old 02-07-2014, 05:34 PM   #18
fast&low

Actually I will be bagging it just not right now that's why I just ordered the spring kit I can use it for a couple of years then after I get the truck running & driving the way I want it to I
plan on going the Porterbuilt (extream drop) route front & rear