The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2014, 09:18 PM   #1
ConradBSomething

Calling all folks with 70's van tilt columns!

Hoping a few of you who have installed the chevy van column can help me out a little.

I just installed one in my 65 and I noticed it doesn't seem to be going all the way up in park. I put the shifter as far up as it went and attached the shift linkage, but it'll only shift as low as 3rd gear (drive). It doesn't seem to be going into park but here's the thing....I can't really tell. The indicator broke off while I was trying to paint the column so I don't know for sure.

I found a thread with a fella with the same problem, he figured out he had a chunk of the busted indicator stuck in the column keeping it from going all the way up. It's REAL old so that threads dead.

I'm hoping maybe some body has had a similar problem or can tell me where the gear shift is positioned when in park (1o'clock 2 o'clock ?)even better maybe a picture of there column from straight on so I can gauge the shifters position when in park.

Thanks in advance for any help!
ConradBSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:39 PM   #2
Jim53066

Re: Calling all folks with 70's van tilt columns!

The linkage is bound to be off some from one to the other.
When I did column swaps, I always started with the trans and shifter in neutral, then adjusted,, extended, shortened, etc. from that point

Jim
Jim53066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:15 PM   #3
ConradBSomething

Unhappy Re: Calling all folks with 70's van tilt columns!

Should be able to feel "detents" with out the trans linkage hooked up? I mean should be able to feel the different gear positions if it's not hooked to the trans.
Because I defiantly don't. I'm staring to worry I have bigger problems
Old 11-01-2014, 08:43 PM   #4
Jim53066

Fell the "detents" on the column? NO

But you should be able to feel the "detents" on the transmission and get that to neutral, from that point place the shifter where neutral would be, and work from there. You will have to extend, retract, change the angle, of the linkage from that point.

Jim
Old 11-01-2014, 08:52 PM   #5
ConradBSomething

Don't mean to keep asking dumb questions, but my indicator is broken. So how do I know where neutral is?
Old 11-01-2014, 09:15 PM   #6
Jim53066

Can't help ya there, either fix the indicator, or go by feel when shifting.

Stop and think about this, how many times do you look at your indicator on your DD when shifting into gear after starting your engine? Probably NEVER, you do it by feel and muscle memory.

Sometimes with an old truck you just have to wing it, especially when you are changing parts from one type vehicle to another!

Jim
Old 11-01-2014, 09:23 PM   #7
ConradBSomething

Very true. Looks I'm just gonna hafta tinker with for a while.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:05 AM   #8
64shortbox

I used a 72 Chevy Tilt Column in my 64 C10. My tilt gear shift indicator was also broken & missing when I got my column. BUT there's great news for you they are available for a whopping $5.00 Here's a link - hope it helps http://www.classictruck.com/product/...nd_Lever_Items You want your Van Tilt to look factory with a chrome bezel? try this link http://www.classictruck.com/product/...nd_Lever_Items You planning on adding an Over Drive trans with your column? Check out this over drive replacement indicator lens http://www.classictruck.com/product/...nd_Lever_Items Hope this info helps some folks out. there's also supposed to be a green plastic cover that goes over the bulb diffuser in the column. I was unable to locate one of those so I bought a small bottle of dark green finger nail polish and coated my bulb until I got the correct green hue I wanted. Green spray paint would also work. If you have any other tilt column questions feel free to ask. I take it you relocated the neutral safety switch further up the steering column? There's a how to link on this site for that too.
Attached Images

64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:37 AM   #9
ConradBSomething

Wow I had no idea all that stuff was available, thanks!

Yeah I relocated the neutral safety using that very thread. Ridiculously helpful!
Old 11-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #10
64shortbox

If you're still having problems getting your shifter indicator to match the actual gear your transmission is in you might want to consider getting either a Lokar or ididit cable shift assembly for a column shift GM column. NOT cheap though. I went the cheap route and bought a Lokar hard linkage knock off. I was able to adjust my shift indicator to my trans gearing BUT driving down the road the column shift lever shakes terribly and now the shift shaft seal leaks on my transmission. The least expensive Lokar & ididit cable systems I found were on eBay through Summit about $140.00 with free shipping be careful though apparently GM used both 2" & 2 1/4" columns in their vehicles so be sure to measure your van column before ordering if you go that route.
The first 3 photos are what NOT to get - don't make the mistake I did. You can see where my shift shaft seal is leaking on the trans. The other 2 photos are a Lokar cable linkage - the purple transmission and an ididit cable linkage set up - the black column picture. Again hope this info helps.
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2014, 11:11 AM   #11
64shortbox

You did ask for some pics of a tilt column in a 65 with an indicator so here's a couple of pictures. Sorry for the flash glare but my truck is in the garage and my wife's car and mine are parked behind it in the driveway. I have a billet flamed steering wheel on it which ads to the glare. hope it helps. I don't know if you caught it or not but after adding the tilt column I also added a suspended gas pedal from a 72 C10 and a power brake pedal from a 73 C10. The chrome A/C vents are off a 64 Chrysler and now I'm planning on adding an emergency brake pedal assembly off a 72 Cadillac so when I drop the truck in gear it will release the parking brake automatically. The modifications just never end.
Attached Images

Last edited by 64shortbox; 11-02-2014 at 11:18 AM. Reason: add more information
Old 11-02-2014, 11:26 AM   #12
ConradBSomething

Thanks 64short! That all helps a lot actually. I'm back to thinking my column isn't moving all the way up. My shift lever only goes up about as far as yours does when it's in neutral.

Slick interior by the way man! Very nice.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:49 PM   #13
64shortbox

Just for the heck of it try taking off the neutral safety switch and see if the shifter will go to full throw.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:45 PM   #14
Marsson

I had the same problem with the indicator, the top part had broken off and the bottom part had been pushed too far into the column and was blocking the movement of the shifter (could not move all the way up into park). It was not easy getting the remains of that old brittle plastic out of there, i ended up drilling a small hole in it and carefully use a toothpick with some superglue on the tip and pulled it out.
Marsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:46 PM   #15
ConradBSomething

Smile Re: Calling all folks with 70's van tilt columns!

Whelp finally got a chance to get back at the truck. It was a piece of indicator stuck in there holding it off.

After a cry small set of tweezer and a large amount of curse words, it came out and I got all gears! It still needs some adjustment, but it's good.

Thanks again everybody!
Old 11-03-2014, 01:08 PM   #16
rideblue00

quote : After a cry small set of tweezer and a large amount of curse words, it came out and I got all gears! It still needs some adjustment, but it's good.

lol sounds like me!
rideblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote