The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2005, 10:04 PM   #1
David Johnson

Any corvette suspensions?

Didn't someone do a corvette suspension swap? I've looked and can't find the thread.
David Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 01:41 AM   #2
Frizzle Fry

I'm putting a '61 body on a 1999 C5 rolling chassis. Not exactly a suspension swap I've seen some nice C4 suspension swaps into these trucks. Here's one

Last edited by Frizzle Fry; 09-20-2005 at 01:42 AM.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 09:19 AM   #3
David Johnson

That's awesome. I think you are the one I was thinking of when I remembered someone had done something like this. How do you think that would work with a blazer body. The body would already be shorter, but I'm sure there would be issues, especially with the tranny location.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:18 PM   #4
Frizzle Fry

As far as wheelbase is concerned, the 69-72 blazer is almost a perfect match; C5=104.5", Blazer=104." There would still be plenty of cutting involved (mostly the body), but it would be less work than what I'm doing. The vette floorboards are flush with the bottom of the frame so I cut out the truck floor and mounted the body down over the frame to use the vette floor. It could be done this way (also provides a pseudo body-drop), or the body could be mounted on top of the frame rails in the traditional fashion.

You would think the vette is wider than our trucks, but it is actually narrower. It's just low so it looks wide. This allows for some wide wheels/tires and deep offset. I plan to do another body swap onto a C5 after this one, maybe a Blazer...
Old 09-20-2005, 06:39 PM   #5
David Johnson

How did you come up with the c5? And if you don't mind me asking, how much should I plan on spending on the chassis and drivetrain?
Old 09-21-2005, 11:19 AM   #6
Frizzle Fry

The 40000mi car was stolen and torched in California. The body was toast but most of what I needed it for was fine. It'll just need some of the rubber parts replaced like a few bushings etc. I paid $5000 delivered including the full rolling chassis with drivetrane intact plus fuel cells, radiator, fans, and a few misc parts. I'd say it was a good package deal. With that said, I think you could find a similar deal or pay even less.

I bought the car through eBay from a guy who bough it through Copart.com. I don't think he made much profit, but he had to have made some. If you are going to make a purchase like that, I'd recommend joining Copart. I plan to for the next one. I think it's a $200/yr membership fee, but you'll easily save thousands. You find better deals because it's a private (must be a member) auction where a lot of insurance companies sell wrecked cars do dealers. The cars may or may not have branded titles. The Oregon DMV will allow my truck to register as “what it appears to be,” so it will register with the original VIN.

I'm not associated with Copart, not even a member, but I've checked it out and liked what I saw.

The last bit of advice I have for anyone who will be working with an LS1/2/6/7 or any other GenIII is to join LS1tech.com. I've found it to be extremely helpful.

Make the first C5 Blazer! I’ll give you any info I can.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:35 AM   #7
David Johnson

I'm just dumb enough to try it. I've been doing a quick search for availability of a complete C5 chassis and drivetrain and it looks like it may be a challage finding one. You wouldn't want to sell yours by chance? You have got me very interested though.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:08 PM   #8
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnson
I'm just dumb enough to try it. I've been doing a quick search for availability of a complete C5 chassis and drivetrain and it looks like it may be a challage finding one. You wouldn't want to sell yours by chance? You have got me very interested though.
No you wouldn't want mine anyway. I've already relocated the rear suspension aft 7". Here's one for you though (minus frame)-> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...Pr4_PcY_BIN_IT

Last edited by Frizzle Fry; 10-02-2005 at 08:09 PM.