The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-04-2010, 03:33 AM   #1
rbagley

Electric fuel pump help

So I've been going through a fuel filter every couple weeks due to tank rust and want to do something different. Lucky for me I have two saddle tanks that look really clean and each have their own fuel pump. My question is how you wire them up. Does it just need a key-on feed? also, could I still just use my mechanical pump or are the saddle tanks too low?
rbagley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
coloradosean2009

Re: Electric fuel pump help

you would need a relay to power the tank when you are using it. I would not power the pumps when not using that particular tank.

The mechanical pump should work just fine from the saddle tanks.

Do your self the favor and take the tank out and clean it. There was a recent post on using muriatic acid that I followed last weekend and I am amazed with the results.

Sean
1972 C20
2005 4Runner

coloradosean2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
C. M. Wolf

Re: Electric fuel pump help

One thing to keep in mind when cleaning rust out of a fuel tank...

Is that most modern gasolines have a 5%-15%,(E-95 - E-85), alcohol content, commonly. Some have way more alcohol content depending on the state you live in. Alcohol draws moisure to itself like few other things. When mixed with fossil fuels,(real gasoline), this causes the water to separate into it's own layer and rust the steel container it's stored in.

If you only strip the rust out and leave the inner steel unprotected, it'll simply begin to rust again in time. I strongly recommend after stripping/cleaning the inside of the tanks, that a lining/coating/sealing material be used. This way it's done once and you are done with that problem from that moment on.

This is only one of many types of fuel tank coatings that can be found...
http://www.kbs-coatings.com/Auto-Fue...-Kit_p_34.html (It's a tad spendy, but it works very well.), there are lots of other products that work just as well, some more expensive, some cheaper. But it is a caution to use something that might eventually break-down and cause you more problems later on. Welding up fuel tank holes or consistantly rebuilding/cleaning your fuel/carb system because of rust can be just about as much fun as losing a "bar fight".

IHTH

Michael

Last edited by C. M. Wolf; 12-04-2010 at 01:23 PM.
C. M. Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote