The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2007, 11:42 PM   #1
70GMC396

Backfire under load

OK, need some help - think it is just an old carb in need of some TLC. It is a 4MV on my 402 auto 70 GMC. Bogs down quickly and backfires each time I try to accellerate on the freeway about 80% to WOW - don't think it is WOW only, but could be. I let up and smooths out, but will bog down and backfire again if I try to recover. Can really only accellerate at about 50% throttle most the time reliably. It hasn't always been this way - father-in-law owned it since 1980 and confirmed that, but I resurrected the truck after it sat for a few years. I am due to replace the fuel filter at the carb and a rebuild wouldn't hurt as it heavily varnished and leaky. Any thoughts on what to check first? Also a vacuum powered valve towards and on top the left front of the intake (anti-back fire vlave or something else???) has a loose electrical connector - looks expensive to replace - could this be related? THx
70GMC396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:48 PM   #2
bryanw1968

Re: Backfire under load

Sounds like a lean back fire. If it was a rich situation it would just bog?
bryanw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:55 PM   #3
70GMC396

Well, I'll start with the filters tomorrow. Maybe it is something simple in fuel delivery. Does seem boggy before it backfires, but i'm no expert.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:06 AM   #4
cdowns

i'd start with the typical tune up points rotor cap sparkplugs plug wires air and oil filters pcv valve set the dwell, plug gap and timing also checking the advance also checking vaccume hose for cracks and leaks to make sure of a solid base b-4 doing any carb rebuilding
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 12:14 AM   #5
bryanw1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
i'd start with the typical tune up points rotor cap sparkplugs plug wires air and oil filters pcv valve set the dwell, plug gap and timing also checking the advance also checking vaccume hose for cracks and leaks to make sure of a solid base b-4 doing any carb rebuilding
Good point. Do a healthy tune up first and then see where you are.
Stuff like this can be SO hard to figure out. I just spent the last 10 days chasing down a problem on my '68 and it turned out to be a bad ignition wire.
I didn't find it before I did the following:

new cap
new rotor
rebuild carb
replace plugs
tried different coil
tried differnet ignition module
beat my head on the garage floor

ALWAYS check the simple things first!!!

Good luck
BW
bryanw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 12:35 AM   #6
70GMC396

Probably should have stated this in the beginning - all those things are new as I just upgraded today to HEI (the rest are recently replaced, new or in good working order) - the important part is that the engine has always done this. That makes me think carb/fuel. The fuel filters will get double checked first thing tomorrow. I replaced all the vacuum lines on the truck recently just as a precaution - some needed it, some not.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:45 PM   #7
70GMC396

Replaced the carb fuel filter and removed the TCS vacuum thing and rerouted to the lower carb vacuum port only (full manifold vacuum - none at idle but comes on rapidly after that). Backfire gone. Hmmm...dirty filter = lean at high flow? Any thoughts? I certainly wasn't getting any vacuum assist off the high (above butterfly) port. I ran the throttle up to test the different amount of assist to the dist. but there was NONE (zero rpm change when attached) from the upper port - that seemed wierd. So didn't really have a choice but to use the lower front manifold port. It still boggs the same at high throttle though, but no longer backfires. How high is vacuum supposed to assist anyway? Not enough to effect anything towards WOW right? thx.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:29 PM   #8
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I had a bad vacuum advance module in the distributor.It acted somewhat the same way.but was a 6.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:36 PM   #9
jhow66

Your time is too low. Check it with vacumn line off dist. Plug off the rubber line.
jhow66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:47 PM   #10
CrashEd
72 chevy

I had that on my blazer and i found it to be my shooters in the carb was plug up a little.Look down the carb with the motor off and work the throttle and see if the 2 streams are the same. One of mine was like a flat spray i cleaned it with a torch tip cleaner and it was fine after that.One good thing though i have all new parts shouldnt have to do another tune up for a while now i replaced them all looking for the problem.
CrashEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:27 PM   #11
hvychve
To The Levy

by chance , have you checked engine vacuum, to see if steady ? without hearing the backfire, sorta difficult to determine if its a lean pop or a crossfire(water in cap or etc) or a valve issue, check your vacuum and verify its steady around 16-20 inches, well, if you dont have a big fat cam in that is.
raise your rpm and verify its still steady, you could possibly have a cam going flat or a lifter or spring issue , could also give you a pop, usually through intake. good luck. sounds like you got most all the other bases covered, Dwell set correctly if still points, timing? ? not too lean?
hvychve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:22 PM   #12
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Here's a couple of easy things to check.
1. With the engine off and the air cleaner off and the choke open, open the throttle quickly and you should see a fuel spray down both venturis. If not then the accelerator pump is bad and the old rubber cup needs replaced, or the rod is out of adjustment.
2. close the choke about 1/4 and try driving the truck. If the situation improves then it's running lean and has probably got some varnish in the main jets and needs a thorough cleaning.
timing may be an issue also as was mentioned. Good luck

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:01 PM   #13
70GMC396

That makes sense jhow66 - i have it at 4 but I'll move it up to 8 - although I would think it would be much more than 4+ degrees to bog down this much. I'll give it a shot and see if that helps. thx everyone - I'l check the carb while I'm at it.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:52 PM   #14
chops333

i have seen vaccuum advance not working do this also if you put in used hei replace the vac. advance
chops333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:51 AM   #15
70GMC396

Backfiring went away with HEI upgrade. Now it only boggs down. Looking into carb testing and fuel supply.