The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
turbo350

Does this sound legit?

Found this ad for a 454. How realistic is a selling price of around $2700 for this?

"This engine has been professionally machined, balanced, and assembled and includes the following components: GM 2-bolt block that has been thermo cleaned, magnafluxed, torque plate honed, new cam bearings, new frost plugs, GM micro polished 2-piece rear seal cast steel crankshaft, reconditioned 6.135" GM rods, Speed Pro coasted hypereutectic pistons, new moly rings, new rod and main bearings, oil pump, and timing chain. The static compression ratio is 9:1. The camshaft is a mild performance hydraulic grind with .553"/.578" lift and duration at .050" is 234/244. This camshaft makes awesome low end and mid range power and has a slightly lopey idle that sounds great. The basic power range is 1800-6000RPM. The heads are GM castings with the BIG oval ports. No peanut port truck heads here. They have been completely freshened with new dual springs, steel retainers, poly seals, and seven degree locks. The engine comes complete with a single plane aluminum intake manifold, chrome pan, chrome timing cover and tab, and chrome valve covers as shown in the picture. This is my most popular Big Block Chevy combination and those that we have dynoed have made about 485-500HP and 525-550lb/ft of torque. It's an absolutely perfect combination for any mild performance application whether it's a 4x4 truck, street rod, rat rod, or even a weekend strip warrior. The price includes free engine break in on our run in stand. This allows us to break in the camshaft using Joe Gibbs Racing high zinc break in oil, check for leaks, verify good oil pressure, and make sure that the engine is ready to drop in when you get it. You won't find a better deal on a quality engine anywhere!"

What corners would be cut to offer this at this price?
turbo350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: Does this sound legit?

coming from a smallblock guy...... so 'how many grains of salt' you wish.

Sounds like basically a stock rebuild, with Hyper-u-cracked-it pistons.
What always concerns me is the "those that we have dyno'd have madeABOUT 485-500 HP"

If he has really put them on a dyno, and they are all built the same, he should know EXACTLY,, not ABOUT anything. There is always some variance in even 'exact' duplicate builds,, and 15HP variance doesn't surprise me. But 'about' and 'over' always says 'I don't know, I'm just throwing out some wild extrapolated, interpolated, infalted, BS to make you feel all warm and fuzzy and somethng to brag to your friends about'. It's not a 'fact' until you've seen the dyno sheet from THAT motor.

So shipping, inflated claims and whatever aside,, I don't see how you can get hurt at that price. Even if it is a mild build with stock parts,,,, you have a base motor to work with and build the way you want in the future. $2700 for a ovalport 454 (assuming they balance) is decent buy IMO... but again coming from a sbc guy

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Easy now Marv,... I think I have about 574 hp LOL . But I just added a new vortec air insert so that should give me another 12 hp

big ports but makes great tq??? Just a air pump at the end of the day. the add seems tell you that it is a one size does it all. A cam that works from 1800 -6000.. well , hard to know until you really see that engine on the dyno. Then you can see where it really makes usable power.

Marv covered it very well.. and yes I am also a SBC guy LOL

cutting cost = cheap chrome parts that do not seal well, cheap gaskets, 7* locks vs 10* type of valves, balance factor, if done at all. The list goes on and on. A solid built engine done right is not going to be 2700 all in. However, run it if there is a issue you have a great starting point. All depends onhow you look at it.

Engines for the most part are you get what you pay for.

Last edited by GMR-PERFORMANCE; 01-22-2012 at 05:46 PM.
GMR-PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
redsled87

I agree with GMR amd Marv. It has a cast crank in stead of a forged crank. It has hyper pistons in it which, are ok as long as you don't have any detonation. The other things that I see wrong are, 1. a single plane intake and 2. no mention of a balance job. Since putting my 454 now 496 in the machine shop, I would like to see an internal balance job. The crank that was in my engine ended up being cracked due to, the external weighted balancer and flywheel and, turning higher RPM's. If your just going to cruise it and due a couple of burnouts with it, you could be ok. Seems alittle cheap in the price though.
1/4 10.93
MPH 120
redsled87 is offline   Reply With Quote