The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2024, 10:36 PM   #1
PbFut

Input on 4wd project.

Sorry this is a little long. Turning over some future projent ideas. Subject truck is a 1972 c20 GMC Sierra Custom Camper. 8lug hubs. I suspect 1ton frame. Not sure. Long term forword planing allows time to pick up parts. I am a month or two away from completing my driveway paint project. Thankfully it is turning out at or better than I hoped for. Fender assembly, glass, and trim to do. I am already toying with the next project idea. The top end motor refresh turned out good after a failed lifter and shadetree flush , but I am getting too much oil heat indicating to me the bottom end/motor is done for. So a create motor is in the summer cards. I'll stay with a sbc platform in the low rpm 400/400 range. Given front will be all apart again, I'll send the trans out for refresh as I should have done last time. Th350. I know I will be looking for the next project after, as a engine swap is not difficult for me and likely complete before fall. If I don't grow tired of the truck I am thinking of a 4wd swap in. Like many of us the truck is a retirement toy that has no real practical use for me other that keeping busy. I am not a 4wd guy so knowledge is very limited. I like the idea of the more modern hubs and transfer case allowing flick of a switch selection. Knowing anything possible with enough cash. Let's think more of a retiree budget. Is it possible with junk yard pull out parts. Fabrication is not unfamiliar to me. Thoughts?
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:25 PM   #2
kwmech

Re: Input on 4wd project.

My first thought is to keep it simple as possible. So what if you have to pull a shift lever back a click to get 4wd. Is towing anything in the trucks future? A small block with a small cam and a good flowing single exhaust is easy maintenance.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:08 PM   #3
PbFut

Motor will be sbc, not LS and no need for BB power. I've done almost no research. I did run across this product so I know the 2wd frame is workable and not interfering with a critical mounting point. https://hogbackfab.com/products/67-7...ain-eye-hanger I get the idea that the more modern transfer cases run the front shaft on the opposit side of centerline making the swap way more difficult. Seems the most difficult issue is getting holes in the frame to mount the shackles for the front leaf springs but that may be an uneducated assumption at this point.
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:36 PM   #4
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Smile Re: Input on 4wd project.

it's not really difficult to do the 2wd to 4wd swap, the front spring hanger mounts in the same place as your current radiator support mount, the frame is marked where the spring hanger mounts for the rear of front spring. you'll need a 4x4 engine and transfer case cross members. i agree with kwmech use the correct trans/t-case, locking hubs and a real shifter are much more reliable-this push button 4x4 is not reliable and a 205 t-case is pretty much bulletproof. if you had posted this sooner i had all the conversion parts you would have needed. i just sent the engine/t-case cross members to a fellow board member yesterday and all the front spring mounts to another board member about a month ago. i do have a 205 t-case for an auto trans if that'll help. just noticed you are in ca. too-north or south ?
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:08 PM   #5
kwmech

Not at all to convert to 4x. I was doing conversions back in the early 80s on chevys and toyoytas
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:03 PM   #6
HO455
Post Whore

By starting from a clean slate whatever side the front drive shaft is on is a non-issue. Pick your transfer case then use the Dana 44 that has the pumpkin on the correct side. Fords are on the drivers side.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:23 PM   #7
57taskforce
All about them K’s

You can buy all 4 of the front spring/shackle hangers new from ORD and they fabbed up beefy parts. I’d run the 205 case for sure and a front 8 lug 44 or a GM front dana 60 like I’ve got in my K20. You’ll have to run the 4x4 e brake cable setup and plate the frame where the 2wd cables pass thru the frame-this is where the front shackle hangers will mount. But that’s the very worst of the fab/welding work.

https://www.offroaddesign.com/replac...ucks-pair.html

https://www.offroaddesign.com/replac...ucks-pair.html

Just a start but browse around on there and you’ll find everything suspension wise you need.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is online now   Reply With Quote