The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-07-2011, 11:56 AM   #1
69burban
Garage Built Rides

Am I being Impatient??

So I just bought my disc conversion for my 65 (currently all drum w/ manual suicide cylinder) it's a Mcgaughy's kit 2.5 drop 13" 6 lug rotor. The front of the truck is dropped at least 3" and the back has TJ springs. Both front and back are maybe an inch fron the bump stops, which are cut allready.

Now, I cant do the brakes yet because of the drop spindles (back would look stupid in the air) So i would need a 5" drop spring, a 2" block, and the notch in the back to lay everything out nice.....done

Problem is I plan on doing bags as soon as money allows, maybe porterbuilt stage 1 stuff,

Should I do the static setup for now, and bags later? or just wait for the $ for the bags and do the brakes then? opinions please...
69burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #2
padresag

Re: Am I being Impatient??

what is a manual suicide cylinder?
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
Indian113

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
what is a manual suicide cylinder?
ron
slang for a single pot Master cylinder! If you lose a brake line with one you don't have any brakes with rest unlike a 2 pot Master cylinder
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
MisterC

I struggled through this same issue. Simply, it's a personal decision. For myself, I allow myself a monthly truck budget (keeps the Mrs happy that way). I chose not to take interim measures that I would end up replacing later and selling at a loss. For instance, I need to replace my springs, as the PO cut the heck out of them. I'm not ready to do the drop spindle/disc conversion yet, so I'm going with a 1"/3" spring drop for now. I want to go lower, but that will get me a better ride for now until I add the dropped spindles and rear lowering block to get me where I want to be in the future.
Posted via Mobile Device
350 V-8 - Powerglide

My not so much a build thread as a "Slow Progression Thread":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486894
MisterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #5
padresag

those were the upgrade to the old push and pray brakes of old though.
but you still have an emergency brake, don't you?
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #6
69burban
Garage Built Rides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian113 View Post
slang for a single pot Master cylinder! If you lose a brake line with one you don't have any brakes with rest unlike a 2 pot Master cylinder
Exactly!
Old 12-07-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
69burban
Garage Built Rides

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
those were the upgrade to the old push and pray brakes of old though.
but you still have an emergency brake, don't you?
ron
Sort of... lol! The PO made a mess out of the cables when he did the exhaust. I got them most of the way there. They just need adjustment now.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:57 PM   #8
kpc01

I am in a similar situation......a lot of projects for the burban and no money. My first goal is the suspension and I plan on buying one piece at a time and stockpiling it in the garge until Ihave all the pieces. For me I don't see much reason to do all the work for a static drop and doing it all over again. I just drive it stock for now which works. Hopefully I will get a decent tax return and get the rest of my parts to do my airbags!
kpc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:05 PM   #9
69burban
Garage Built Rides

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpc01 View Post
I am in a similar situation......a lot of projects for the burban and no money. My first goal is the suspension and I plan on buying one piece at a time and stockpiling it in the garge until Ihave all the pieces. For me I don't see much reason to do all the work for a static drop and doing it all over again. I just drive it stock for now which works. Hopefully I will get a decent tax return and get the rest of my parts to do my airbags!
Ha, Thanks kpc, It's nice to know I'm not the only one! I'm so close on the bags as far as $ goes. No sense doing stuff twice. This motivates me to get the garage cleaned out and sell some stuff lol!
Old 12-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #10
kpc01

good idea....I've made 300 bucks in the last week by selling crap out of my garage I don't need. kill two birds with one stone! Hopefully by the time I make enough room in the garage I'll have enough cash win-win
kpc01 is offline   Reply With Quote