The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2004, 12:48 PM   #1
Banthm

Salvage Yards in the Austin, TX area?

Anyone help me out on some decent places in the Austin area?

Thanks!
Banthm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 05:11 AM   #2
dyingdeadman

there are tons of junkyards in austin. but not many that still have older trucks. I just grab the yellow pages and start calling places. i tend to stick to the south austin yards because the prices are better. the one place I have been able to find most of what I was looking for was aarons on south congress.they tend to have some older trucks in there, also some times big4 will have some older trucks.
dyingdeadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 11:20 AM   #3
Hook'em

There is a junkyard in Briggs between Austin and Lampassas. I have not been there in a few years, but used to dig for parts for an '89 Chevy Truck. I did not have my old truck then and am not sure what older trucks they have, but I found them to be the best around for my, then, late model Chevy.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:46 AM   #4
Huskerboy2

I was just at Aarons not too long ago. They used to have a handful of our trucks there. They were all pretty picked over. They ended up crushing them. There is one still there, but there isn't anything worthwhile left on it. The cab might be alright, don't remember, but that's about it.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:17 PM   #5
Hook'em

Harold's is the place in Briggs that I was mentioning. (800) 770-6199. You may give them a call to see what they have out there.

BTW, when you find a yard with some 67-72s, let us know.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:43 PM   #6
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

Highway 71 East Auto Salvage had several 67-72 trucks and Suburbans about a year ago when I was skulking around for some parts. Address is 5021 E. Hwy 71; phone # 247-4100 or 247-2863.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:51 PM   #7
9footfan
get up! stand up!

good luck guys--keep me in mind if anyone runs across a 67 panel-thanks in advance!
70 gmc 3500 canadian 9 foot "fenderside" pickup
06 silverado
71 vet enjoyed by my retired father

wtb-67 chevy 1 ton 9ft stepside-in perfect condition
9footfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 09:06 PM   #8
keota

Maybe This Will Help You. In Austin The Only Place That Carries Old American Cars/trucks Is Aaron's On So. Congress 282-1715. I Bought A Console For $15. Took It Apart,repainted It And Had The Chrome Ring Rechromed And It Looks Brand New. If You Want To Have Anything Rechromed In Austin Go To Centex Plating On St. Elmo Street.see David 512 444-4721

There Is A Guy In Cameron,texas That Carries Nothing But 67-72 Trucks/blazers. Last Time I Was There He Had Over 30. I Bought Nerf Bars,side Markers And Alot Of Little Stuff. See Larry At Green's Restoration 254 697-4304

If You Don't Mind Driving To New Braunfels And Into The Country Go To John's Salvage Outside Of Sequin . He Has Nothing But Old Cars/trucks/etc. He Had A 1961 Bubble Top,a Couple Of Old Dodge Power Wagons And Ford's Answer To The Chevy Nomad......don't See Them Very Often. Johns At 830 379-2092. I've Bought Several Things From Him.

And If You Feel Like Driving To San Antonio The Sothside Off Of I35 Is Full Of Auto Salvage Yards.
One More Place Is Comal Auto Salvage. He's Kinda Small But I've Gotten Lucky Finding Items There Too. 830 629-6965. Ol' Don Has A 1968 Camero I've Been Trying To Get From Him For Years.

I've Done This Hunting Bit And Anything I Can Do To Help Save Ya Gas I'll Do.

Good Luck. Keota (larry)
keota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 08:04 PM   #9
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

Yeah, I forgot about Larry Green in Cameron. That's who I bought my short box from. He's a really great guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keota
Maybe This Will Help You. In Austin The Only Place That Carries Old American Cars/trucks Is Aaron's On So. Congress 282-1715. I Bought A Console For $15. Took It Apart,repainted It And Had The Chrome Ring Rechromed And It Looks Brand New. If You Want To Have Anything Rechromed In Austin Go To Centex Plating On St. Elmo Street.see David 512 444-4721

There Is A Guy In Cameron,texas That Carries Nothing But 67-72 Trucks/blazers. Last Time I Was There He Had Over 30. I Bought Nerf Bars,side Markers And Alot Of Little Stuff. See Larry At Green's Restoration 254 697-4304

If You Don't Mind Driving To New Braunfels And Into The Country Go To John's Salvage Outside Of Sequin . He Has Nothing But Old Cars/trucks/etc. He Had A 1961 Bubble Top,a Couple Of Old Dodge Power Wagons And Ford's Answer To The Chevy Nomad......don't See Them Very Often. Johns At 830 379-2092. I've Bought Several Things From Him.

And If You Feel Like Driving To San Antonio The Sothside Off Of I35 Is Full Of Auto Salvage Yards.
One More Place Is Comal Auto Salvage. He's Kinda Small But I've Gotten Lucky Finding Items There Too. 830 629-6965. Ol' Don Has A 1968 Camero I've Been Trying To Get From Him For Years.

I've Done This Hunting Bit And Anything I Can Do To Help Save Ya Gas I'll Do.

Good Luck. Keota (larry)
Old 08-25-2004, 01:15 AM   #10
dapolice1
We can roll all Day!!

Also the guy in Belton.
I have used Arrons and the guy in Seguin, both satisfactory yards.
I highly recommend Centex plating they have a very nice high quality chrome.
I just found a guy in Buda that has a 8x8x20 Powder coating oven. Thats right you can get your frame done. He quoted me about $250 for a frame. LOTS of colors. Capital Powder Coatings off IH 35 at about the 218 mile marker. If you decide to use him Email me and I will tell you what to tell him.
dapolice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 07:50 AM   #11
9footfan
get up! stand up!

hey dapolice--i'd love some more info on that powder coater if you don't mind--thanks in advance!
70 gmc 3500 canadian 9 foot "fenderside" pickup
06 silverado
71 vet enjoyed by my retired father

wtb-67 chevy 1 ton 9ft stepside-in perfect condition
9footfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 06:12 PM   #12
keota

Is The Guy In Belton Still There ? I Heard He Was Trashed In One Of The Tornadoes That Went Thru Belton 3 Years Or So Ago .he Use To Have Great Flea Market Type All Chevy Yard Sales.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:34 PM   #13
dapolice1
We can roll all Day!!

Not sure if he is still there. He is on that highway west of 35, but can not remember which one. Bleive it is south of belton. He would have a swap meet once a month or so, and had a decent turn out. He also had accumulated quite a few classic cars there as well.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:30 PM   #14
keota

That's The Same Guy. He Got Wipped Out And Is No Longer There......unless He Reopened Somewhere Else. I Went By To See Him On My Way To Green's Chevy Lot In Cameron A Little Over A Year Ago And There Was Nothing Left At His Place.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:05 PM   #15
dapolice1
We can roll all Day!!

That's a shame cause he had a little gold mine there..
I was last there in 2002 so it very well could have been destroyed..
Old 08-26-2004, 08:27 PM   #16
Banthm

Wow! Thanks for all the input. I'm from Seguin, so I suspect I'll have to go out to John's. Haven't been there in years... I think the last time was right before I totalled my 71 LeMans convertible... sigh.

Maybe I'll take a camera back there and post anything that looks interesting.
Banthm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 08:33 PM   #17
dapolice1
We can roll all Day!!

I think your on to something there. We should be taking our cameras and if anything we know is of value or high demand snap a picture and post them here. Maybe admin will create a section titled Junyard Gems or something. It would be a very good addition to the boards.

I am thinkin 67 driver's side stepside fender in good shape without the spare tire indention.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:51 AM   #18
Hook'em

Has anyone checked out any of these yards since this post started a few weeks ago?

I would like to go out and dig around if there are any trucks to check out.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:10 PM   #19
Huskerboy2

Don't waste your time at Aarons. I was just out there looking for parts for another vehicle. There's only two trucks left, a red '71 plain Jane longbox and some crazy looking chop topped stepside painted in Zebra stripes. It looks like it was some kind of truck they would use at a game preserve or a zoo or something like that. There isn't much of anything left on it. Cab might be alright on the '71, don't exactly remember. Rockers were shot for sure, but other than that, it might have been pretty solid. Someone started cutting patch panels out of the bed, so it's pretty much shot. Actually, that zebra looking stepside seemed like the bed might be in alright shape. Rear fenders seemed solid. They used to have a few more 67-72's, but they took them to the crusher recently. They were all pretty much stripped though.