The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2016, 08:30 PM   #1
chip46wis

Anyone to bahamas?

Just curious about anyones experience going to the Bahamas--Nassau actually---Wife wants to go this fall and I see nothing good---from drug dealers to corrupt hotels, police and extreme prices Please let me know of your good/bad times---thanks
chip46wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:20 PM   #2
Ironhorse

Re: Anyone to bahamas?

My wife and I spent 5 days in the Bahamas for our 25th anniversary, 20 years ago, LOL, just made our 45th. Not Nassau but Freeport. Left Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. early in the morning by cruise ship and arrived mid afternoon. Had a great time, local shops, beach, snorkeling, cat-a-maran boating with calypso band, visited the local RUM distillery (with free samples !!) (just not enough !!) Wanted to try the para-sailing but didn't get to. Took several guided tours, lots of Hollywood stars had water front homes along with some big name corporation leaders.

At the time you did not need a passport, just a photo ID, 911 changed all that ! Used US currency but after we had been there a few days I learned to use the local Bahamian currency. When a purchase was made, say maybe $8 US the local merchant was "don't got no change, man, don't got no change" The $8 suddenly became $10, LOL ! Be sure you take LOTS of small currency bills. Did not use or have debit or credit cards, at the time you could still use Traveler's Checks. Think they are a thing of the past now.

We were there in June, weather was decent but rained almost every day, several times a day for short periods of time and then the sun. Our US summer time CAN have some rough weather with hurricane type weather, guess we lucked out. Better to go in our US fall weather. HUMIDITY is intense, prep your other half for having bad hair days constantly, LOL. Took some self walking tours, at the time didn't seem to have any cautions from the hotel about areas to stay away from. That may have changed now as the world has changed since then also.

I did bring back as much DUTY FREE rum and such as I was allowed, check customs requirements now. Mango Rum is great !! One thing you gotta' try is the local Conch chowder, fried conch, conch fritters, conch stew. GREAT with a cold RED STRIPE local beer. US beer is an import and was much higher $$

Hope this is some help, feel free if you have questions and I will do the best to answer. Have a great time !!
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks

Last edited by Ironhorse; 06-23-2016 at 09:26 PM.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:11 PM   #3
Grumpy old man

Been there done that dozens of times with my old aircraft clientele , stick to the tourist areas and avoid the sketchy areas,use guided daylight adventures , just like vacationing in Florida , where you can find the same weather ,safer beaches , better food and clean drinking water , try the west coast Tampa bay to ft Myers with Sarasota being on top of the list ,use Allegiant airlines for great prices .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:44 PM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I went in '73 to Paradise Island when I graduated HS. I guess across the bridge from Freeport. Spent time there, mostly. Paradise Is is totally tourist trap. It seemed to be just getting going, just the one hotel. I guess you'd need a time machine for any review I could give would matter. I remember the"Goombay Celebration". I had a great time. Scuba diving everyday

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 12:10 AM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I just go to Jamaica.
Jamaicans themselves are awesome people, cops are predictably bribeable, weather is beautiful, and its the only "resort country" in which the locals gladly tell you to go f*ck yourself (I appreciate that). Not to mention that no one will judge you for anything you do, or want to do, in their country...so long as your respectful.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:28 AM   #6
codejitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip46wis View Post
Just curious about anyones experience going to the Bahamas--Nassau actually---Wife wants to go this fall and I see nothing good---from drug dealers to corrupt hotels, police and extreme prices Please let me know of your good/bad times---thanks
I lived in Nassau for 7 years. If you aren't a local, they will charge you extremely high amounts of money for everything. Nothing has price tags in stores so the cashier will charge whatever they want. I suggest you go somewhere like grand Bahama or Freeport. Nassau is not too tourist friendly. However, it's not a horrible place, by any means. Just bring a full wallet and don't plan on coming back with much, Bahamian customs are pretty corrupt, to say the least.
codejitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:46 PM   #7
chip46wis

TY all---we just saw the statement from the US state dept and travel to the Bahamas is NOT recommended.From theft to corruption drugs rapes ect they place this HIGH on the not recommended list. TY all again
Old 06-24-2016, 08:26 PM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

^ Read too many of those and you'll be scared to go anywhere. The Domican Rep is a hugely popular vacation spot but it and Haiti have like the worst "records".

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:01 PM   #9
Gene

Went to Paradise Island last year, was a pretty cool place, very friendly people. Never felt uneasy, the resort on the other hand, the Riu Bahamas. I wouldn't recommend it. Food was blah, and beach was just ok...

BOARD MEMBER #5448

BOOMER SOONER!!!!
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:05 PM   #10
chip46wis

TY all
Old 07-05-2016, 01:03 AM   #11
fine69

I took a cruise out of Miami a few years ago. To Nassau. It was ok. But it will give you the uneasy feeling. The locals are out to gouge you for cash. Didn't leave me feeling all good about it.
I wouldn't do it again.

Board member #6

fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:46 PM   #12
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Wouldn't you be better off going to downtown Chicago?
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:16 PM   #13
Willowrun

I've been to the Bahamas and the Virgin Islands in the last 5 years. Both have beautiful scenery that is worth the trip. On the flip side, the service isn't that good and as others have said, the locals prey on tourists. If it were me I'd look at Mexico..Playa del Carmen or Cabo San Lucas. The food is excellent, the service is incredible, and your USD will go a long way right now with the exchange rate being around 18 to 1.
Willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 01:22 PM   #14
Number98
Prestige Worldwide

I was in Nassau this past November, one day stop on an eastern Caribbean cruise. I am sure if you stay at one of the resorts and stay on site its a nice place but wondering the town and port.... not somewhere I wanted to be. Lots of sketchy folks around bumping into tourists, price gouging, etc... I watched the old, here take this bracelet its free and then another person walks up and says, hey that is my bracelet and you owe me x-amount for it trick. Anyway, St. Thomas and St. Marteen were both really nice and I would pick one of those over Nassau.
Number98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:44 AM   #15
Vero67

Been there many times. Never a problem. Last time we stayed at the Comfort Suites across the street from Atlantis. Bonus is that you get to use the Atlantis Waterpark for free. Great price on room. Our favorite island though is St Marteen. Only problem going to these locations during the summer is the chance of hurricanes. We are getting ready to go to Aruba, as it is out of the hurricane belt. Been too long since we went there.
Vero67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:18 PM   #16
rusty76

I went to Nassau ten years ago. Stayed at Atlantis Resort. Beautiful place. Beautiful beach. But outside of the resort it wasn't great. Honestly it felt like a polished turd. I enjoyed the resort and the beautiful beach but other than that nothing else. It was hot. Most of the locals were nice but it always seems that everybody wanted a tip. I was on the beach when a local offered me one those coconut drinks. He gave it to me and said I owed him. I didn't have dime in my swim trunks. Dude got rude with me. He stormed off. It was all good though. Somethings were expensive but you are on vacation right. We had one bad experience but if you never been take cruise and just watch yourself. Personally there's tons of stuff here in the USA I want to see and do. Good luck.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC

Last edited by rusty76; 07-17-2016 at 08:27 PM.
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:59 AM   #17
Daman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowrun View Post
I've been to the Bahamas and the Virgin Islands in the last 5 years. Both have beautiful scenery that is worth the trip. On the flip side, the service isn't that good and as others have said, the locals prey on tourists. If it were me I'd look at Mexico..Playa del Carmen or Cabo San Lucas. The food is excellent, the service is incredible, and your USD will go a long way right now with the exchange rate being around 18 to 1.
LMAO I never wanted to really leave the country again after a trip to Juarez when I was 16 with my brother and cousins.

A couple friends have been hounding us to go with them to Mexico for years. We ended up going to Cabo San Lucas this spring. Now we're already booked for next year.
Daman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:41 PM   #18
chip46wis

TY we are NOT going based on several locals that had bad experiences.From theft to drugs.