The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
MLB57

first try at block sanding

After being down for 6 weeks with neck surgery got a chance to get back on my ride. got 3 coats of slick sand on it and sanded it all back off, do you think it needs it again or dose it look straight enough take all the feed back good or bad
Attached Images

MLB57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:19 AM   #2
screaminchevypickup
Laid Back

Re: first try at block sanding

I would add more primer then do a guide coat then re block.. It's hard to tell from a computer if the truck is straight. Your filler needs to be covered tho!
Posted via Mobile Device

Direct dealers for..

Vintage Air, Porterbuilt, Billet Specialties,Budnik wheels ,eddie motorsports, raceline wheels, intro wheels, Dakota Digital, precision, unisteer, Trimparts, and many many more... Laid Back Recreations.. Full restoration shop and full paint and body..

Kyle

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=574629
screaminchevypickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
hugger6933

My vote is foer more High build or in your case slick sand. 2to 3 more coats then do a guide coat with some product made for that purpose. It is availble in spray can or powder form and will do just as the name implies, give you a guide to goby. It will be a different color than the primer and will quickly show you when you put your board on it where the problems are by either leaving or quickly removing the guide coat. If it goes off too quick it is high, and if it stays on a long time it is low. I hope that helps. It is really looking good keep up the good work, just hang in there! Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:37 AM   #4
MLB57

I used the3m powder guide coat. Think my days of slicksand are over. Mixed it up and th e cheap 2.0 gun would not spray it pored it in my 1.8 primer gun and it set up. Mixed another batch, regulator plowed up by the time I got it changed another pot set up, mixed another pot, air hose coupler would not latch changed another batch set up, mixed another one, sprayed like bed liner material..... long day.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
hugger6933

Sorry for your bad day at the shop, I would like to suggest that if your in the market for some primer take a look at the Omni high build MP282 I a ton of the stuff!! also a lot of people say that it sprays out a little rough but I tell them to get some MR 186 reducer and mix in with it anywhere from .05 to .2 parts and it will flow out like butter. I use a 2.0 and have recentlty gotten a 2.3 but have not had anything big enough to mix upthat much to use the new gun. . Try it I think you will like it. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
theastronaut

If you reduce Slick Sand 10% it sprays much better and has a longer pot life.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
MLB57

What do you reduce your slick sand with and what size gun do you use. I forgot to add slung a quart on the floor mixing it, they say bodyfun and beer don't mix but I had to
Old 08-15-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
theastronaut

Fast urethane reducer and a Sata KLC RP with a 2.5 tip. It lays out pretty slick for it's thickness.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote