The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2005, 09:56 PM   #1
newin72
Account Suspended

bottoming out after 2/4 drop

after installing the 2/4 drop on my suburban last weekend, I noticed that I only have about 1/2 inch before contacting my bumpstops!

I figured it would be a little closer but wow...

I tried cutting the bump stop down with a reciprocating saw, but the rubber was just going back and forth and the same pace as the saw and not cutting...

what have you done to keep from bottoming out after lowering your rides?
newin72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 10:02 PM   #2
SCOTI

Which end is bottoming out, front or rear?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 11:55 PM   #3
newin72
Account Suspended

oh sorry. both are.

the back seems worse than the front though.

also, the front is nice and stiff, if you push down on the front it bounces a little bit but then goes right back.

but on the back if you push it down it keeps bouncing for a little bit...

I have heard some say that the back on the suburban should have different shocks/springs than the truck. but the guy at ECE said they were the same
Old 07-02-2005, 03:39 AM   #4
GMCPaul

Suburban/Panel rear springs were manufactured with a different spring rate than the pickup and should not use the same drop springs as a pickup.
We have all of our drop springs made to the specific truck, Suburban, Blazer that they are going into because we realize when your dropping a vehicle there's a big difference in weight between a SWB 6cyl Non-A/C truck and a LWB 402BB A/C truck, so even the truck owners that buy from us don't get the same spring unless both owners trucks are identical. We provide our manufacturer with the vehicles specs and then they send that info to their engineering deptartment who then determines the vehicle weight with info provided and taking the weight figure & amount of drop requested they then determine the optimum spring rate for weight & drop desired. These specs are then forwarded to the manufacturing plant for the springs to be wound and temered to engineering's specs provided. Every trucks not the same so why grab the exact same set of springs off the shelf for a big block Suburban as you would for a 6cyl pickup when lowering it. Because each spring we have made is custom made to the truck it means a 3-7day manufacturing wait before they ship from our manufacturer to the customer but in regards to ride quality I've found its well worth it to wait a few days over off the shelf drop spring manufacturers & vendors where everyone gets the same springs so then some end up with a good ride, others find it a harsh ride and others a spongy bottoming out ride!!!
I run 3 1/2" front, & 5" rear drop on our 67 Panel with 275-60-15's and have yet to bottom my Panel out.
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 11:03 AM   #5
newin72
Account Suspended

SOLD! I will give you a call on Tue. and send these back to ECE...

(I bought these before I was on this board. sorry for my ignorance) :dumb: