The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2002, 03:06 PM   #1
Big69C20 Toy
Livin' it up.

OT: Venting, 00 Silverado pains....

OK i'm just getting more and more convinced the ........ at GM are just playing with themselves. Last night i got a flat in the Silverado, not a flat but it just broke the bead on the tire when the rear end slid, talk about a cheap arse setup... Ok well i've changed hundreds of tires and was like arlight i feel like an idiot for doing this (with 5 other friends with me, one being my gf) anyways it's about midnight. Me and my buddy set out to change the tire. Well getting the jack out requires you to be fricking Hercules! The nut they tightened to hold the jack down was on SO tight i had to use the lugnut tool to get it loose by pushing on it and hitting it. Ok jack's out, (lame bottleneck) and i loosen the lugs (on there at about 140ft-lbs each).

Next comes the fun part, trying to get the spare down. Ok simple i've done it before, well this time was different. Me and my bud are doing the whole shaft down the tube thing to lower the spare and getting no where. Pull out the instructions, yeah we're doing it right. SLAM that MF'er into the hole to get it to go in right, ok it's in and the "open end" just as they said is in there. Try to turn it, BINGO rounds the tool! Sumb!tch, ok tried the other extension that matched, SAME thing, rounds the tool. Not rocket science right? Ohh man i called GM tow service (still under warranty) and told the guy what was up he said "That's common" I yelled into the phone 'That's common?!!?!?" he goes "well um not common but i've had a few calls liek that. Dont worry the tow guy will be able to get it down, they'll be out within the hour....) (1230AM)

Needless to say at 130am the tow dude arrives i tell him whats up and he goes "I've no way of getting that thing down" Luckily i had only broken the bead and not had a hole in the tire, we inflated it, and got it all jacked up and back on there. by 2am we were mobile again. Now i've got one more thing to yell at GM about this truck. Here's my list so far for monday to take it in:

1. Motor making fun ticking noise like it's knocking or valves are catching or something. took it to GM they said you're 2qts low on oil, that's why, we'll fill it up ... (dad did oil change prior and HE did it right i know it) Well come to the next oil change and it's 2 low again, dad this time has me witness him doing the oil fil. 2000miles later 2qts low again and motor can stil be heart. He filled it up but WTF and they're trying to put us off saying they cant tear into it...

2. Driver's seat jiggles and rocks due to worn assembly inside, feels like i'm on a roller coaster when i accelerate.

3. Pass side extended cab door locking mechanism wont let you close the door normally, you gotta stick yer hand in there and hold down a catch each time.

4. And finally this lame spare tire issue....

I WANT to so yell at GM, thanks for listening to me vent fellas, just had to get it off my chest after last night and all.
Big69C20 Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 03:22 PM   #2
68 with 350 TPI

Time to sell the 00 and get a 67-72 with ac,power steering,power brakes,and a fuel injected engine with a overdrive trans

If it is under warrenty take it to a diffrent GM dealer to get it fixed if the place you bought the truck is giving you a hard time.

When I was working at a chevy dealer we seen a ton of the newer trucks with cold start knock (loose engine bearing tolerances) and we fixed them for the people that hated to hear a knocking engine when it was first cranked.
But it was a pain to get the service dept to sign for the work to be done.
Now Im not saying that is your problem but just an example.

I will say that most shop techs dont get the same work hours for warrenty workas they do a normal job and they tend to rush them out and say that the problem is normal etc.
That way they can get to another job that has normal pay hours.
At least that is the way it was at 2 shops I worked at.

Please make sure you let the service manager and shop forman know what the problem is as the service writers dont seem to know their head from a hole in the ground most of the time.

That is the only way to get anything done.

Last edited by 68 with 350 TPI; 06-15-2002 at 03:35 PM.
68 with 350 TPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 05:38 PM   #3
Big69C20 Toy
Livin' it up.

Thanks, i'll do that. the dealership we're going to now is slow as all heck but we know the owners and most of the people on down. And i've already got a 69 with everything but the fuel injected motor and overdrive, but that'll be fixed eventually... muhahah
Big69C20 Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 09:31 PM   #4
Chevyc10!

been there done that...

I had an 01' with the engine knock. It was at temperature, never at startup. Every dealer said the same crap, "they all do it" or we won't tear into it for that...etc. I kept it for 4 months and sold the piece of Sh*t. I have had several new vehicles from many different manufactures and they have all been sh*t. There is only one manufacturer that actually stands behind their product and that's BMW. But you must spend $40+ to get one. I will never own anything newer than a 72 model vehicle. I can build an old vehicle for a third of the cost of a new one with exactly what I want in it.

Paralyzed from the neck up and confined to a hat!

Kathleen, Georgia USA
Chevyc10! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 01:18 AM   #5
Project1970
14.1 @ 96MPH

I feel your pain...our '97 Suburban has been the only vehicle that's managed to leave us stranded, and if not stranded, very close to it...neither of the Grand Caravans did ('89 and '93), nor did the Audi before those, nor the grey Buick land barge, or our '97 Benz, and as of yet, my truck...not even the "unreliable" 1994 Z28! Sure, it runs like crap once in a while and has plenty of little things go - radios, power windows, etc - but that thing will get you there and back every time. Provided you remember to refuel it.

Of course, the very last batch of problems on the Burb were all the mechanic's doing...

Oh wait...I'm the mechanic. =P

Remember to torque your lugnuts down on spare tires, folks. At least all we needed was wheelstuds...

*runs away and hides for being a retard*

Though seriously, Gila Bend is a black hole for that thing...last time, it was a 4L60E saying buh-bye at 40,000 miles, this time, first an about-to-shred-tire and then the improperly installed replacement...
Old 06-16-2002, 07:31 AM   #6
bobs409
1969 Custom 30 wrecker

New=ugly, over priced junk

I only own old Chevy's. A time when things were done right. There's nothing experimental about these. They're tried and true.

63 Impala 283/PG/3.36 (under restoration)
66 Impala 327/PG/3.36
66 Chevelle SS 409/M22/3.55
69 Chevelle 307/PG/3.08 (future restoration)
69 C10 short stepside 454/TH350/3.73
69 Custom 30 tow truck 350/4 spd/4.10 (resto done, CRUISIN TIME!)
71 Cheyenne 20 fleetside 350/4 spd/4.10
71 Chevelle 6/PG/3.08
72 Chevelle 454/M21/4.10
bobs409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 03:12 PM   #7
Baradium
Binder Rep

Quote:
Originally posted by bobs409
New=ugly, over priced junk

I only own old Chevy's. A time when things were done right. There's nothing experimental about these. They're tried and true.
Newest I'd go on a vehicle as they stand now would be '80. Up to there you can still get all the dependability I want. As far as trucks I want, the newest chevy would be the '72s... although I wouldn't mind having a "longfoot" pickup, saw one of those for sale before, insanely long pickup bed.
Baradium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 03:54 PM   #8
1974ChevyC10
Overworked and Underlaid

i agree with the general feeling about new vehicles there built like s**t.the newest ill go as far as vehicles go is 1977........would go to 78 but ive had bad expieriences with 78's.ive also had a few newer vehicles and they were crap as well.

The Beast-1978 C10 LWB

Red-1978 C10 LWB

(Uncle Mike)Michael Henry Millett 11/5/1957 to 03/08/2012
Gone but will never be forgotten-RIP

(Uncle Chuck)Charles Manning Gulbronsen Sr 1956-2012
Taken from us to soon but you will live on in our hearts-RIP
1974ChevyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 08:48 AM   #9
Travis

Smile

I agree 100 percent with the last few post, the quality just isnt there in the newer models. And look at the prices on them!
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 09:39 AM   #10
tom hand
CCRider

You can get a lemon any year, any make. With the laws they have now, if it really a piece of crap you can make them buy it back. New cars are way better now than the crap they built 79-89. I have a 2001 Chevy 1500HD that I have had 0 problems and I love it.
Old 06-17-2002, 06:38 PM   #11
busterwivell

I guess I've just been lucky. 96 tahoe has over 100K and all I had to do was replace a fuel pump (now there's a story!) and tires.
86 Monte Carlo SS turned 212K coming back from LA Roadster show on Saturday. Checked oil yesterday, and it's not down a full quart yet. It has developed a few problems, like power door locks don't work, left speakers work sometimes, don't sometimes, smokes a little on startup (valve seals at 212K?), but that's not bad for a 305. Ran on I-10 from Pomona to Tucson with the ac on, cruise set between 80 and 85 and averaged 16 mpg.
If I had to buy a new car today, I wouldn't. I'd buy a truck. And I guess you have a 50/50 chance there, too. A friend just sold his 01 4x4 Chevy because it was a POS that was always at the dealership. Brother-in-law has an 01 2500HD that he pulls an enclosed trailer (with a 40 F#%d coupe in it) all the time. Has 25K on it and not a problem other than 2 tire blowouts. That's not the truck's fault.
66 Chevrolet Malibu 2 dr 4 speed
71 Chevrolet C30 Longhorn
86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Sold)
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
busterwivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 10:38 PM   #12
Primer_72
User and Abuser

So far have had only one problem with my 99, and thats a vibration coming from the leafsprings. Looked it up on Mitchell and there's a TSB out on it. Fking dealership screwed me out of $40 and told me it vibrates because it's lowered, even though the vibration was there before. Screw them.
My mother's 97 3/4 ton has had 0 problems.
My dad's 99 1/2 ton has had 0 problems.
My brother's 2001 HD Duramax has had 0 problems...
Oh and my 93 is still running strong with 240K on it...

I think most people are intimidated by new vehicles because they dont know how to fix them IF there is a problem....
'72 C-10

Back in business: 68 C-10 lwb
Primer_72 is offline   Reply With Quote