The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2015, 01:20 AM   #1
Sicksty8

My first project... 1968 GMC lwb fleetside

This whole thing started last year when I was hunting the salvage yards for an LS motor for my dad's truck when I came across a beautiful 69 C10 just sitting in the bush. I instantly fell in love with that body style and so the obsession started. I would scour the farmyards of manitoba for the perfect project truck. Half a year went by and still no truck that was a, for sale and b, was a viable option for a beginner such as myself. On one trip out to the lake with my dad I ended up spotting the grille of what looked to be a 67-72 gmc truck. So we drover in and asked if it was for sale. The owner said yes and I immediately feel in love with this one. Blinded by the love, I didn't see just how much work would be needed to get this guy back on the road. After about a month of pondering, I made an executive decision to go and save this truck from its bitter demise. It was now march break and I hauled out to pick this truck out of the farm yard it has been in for nearly 10 years. As I was putting the truck on the trailer I began second guessing my decision but I was still very excited about having my first project truck.

From the first time seeing the truck to it actually being in my driveway, the plans had changed. Originally I just wanted to get the truck on the road but when I dove into the teardown, the plan changed to a frame offor or as much as my budget would allow. The plan was now to swap to discs in the front, 5.3 swap it and powder coat the frame and all surrounding parts. I wanted to leave the original paint on it until I could afford to redo it because I love the character that comes with it. I began to notice that the truck would need a lot and I mean a lot of bodywork. But I was and still am determined to at least attempt to most of it myself.

Each night after school I would head to the garage and put in another 8 hours of work tearing it down. After about two weeks I had it down to the frame. I managed everything in my own garage as most guys would do it although some of my ways were quite redneck and I wouldn't ever recommend them to anyone or even think about doing them again.

Now this is getting quite long and if I haven't lost you yet I'd like to say thanks for sticking with me on this. I know I should have made this thread a LONG time ago but I can't change that now. Ideally I'd like to keep this project as budget minded as possible but who knows, my mind and ideas change like gitch making it hard to stay on budget.

Ok so a bit more here before we're up to date, two weeks ago I ended up harvesting a 6.0L LS and to do with it out of an 2003 sierra 2500. The tranny out of it was a 4x4 so I brought it to the local tranny shop to have it converted to a 2wd. In the process they found it was a sh*t storm inside meaning I could either have my tranny rebuild or just buy one off of their shelf in the back. So naturally I splurged for a brand new one reason being, the boneyard wanted about the same for one and this one was a fresh rebuild with a 1 year warranty. Almost justifiable

I have done my fair share of LS swap research and I feel pretty confident I know what I'm doing with most of it but any more information would be very much appreciated. I'm hoping to drop the motor and tranny in this next week or so. Stay tuned for updates I'll pay a few of the progress pictures thus far
Attached Images

Sicksty8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:35 AM   #2
Sicksty8

Re: My first project... 1968 GMC lwb fleetside

The rust on the cab looks to me like the typical rust of this time period and body style. The cab corners and inner floor in the corners is completely gone. The inner and outer tickers need to be replaced along with the footwells and floor boards under the feet. There's one piece that is right where the high beam switch is located that I need to fabricate myself as no one sells a patch for that spot I'm pretty much looking at doing a whole for replacement or I'll have to pick away piece by piece. Either route will be a lot of work. This for me is the most intimidating and daunting task to do on this truck. Most everything else I feel pretty confident to give a go at.
Edit: sorry for the goofy sideways and kinda crappy quality pictures as these were taken on my phone in the low light in my garage.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sicksty8; 07-30-2015 at 01:42 AM.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:54 AM   #3
Metaldoc

looks like mine two years ago, long way to go but a good start. I had to replace about the same. good luck and keep at it. Derek.
Metaldoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:28 AM   #4
cooperhw

Well you sure tore the H*ll outta that thing didn't you? Amazing that they can come apart in two weeks and take years to go back together (most times) usually.
Actually you have done exactly what we recommend new enthusiasts "NEVER DO". Probable over half (maybe 85%) of first time builders jump in the deep end like you have done and at some point after thousands of dollars and hours have been spent, realize that they no longer have the passion or determination to keep going. I HOPE this does not happen to you and your name is added to the list.
When you bought it two weeks ago it was a truck. It no longer is a truck. It is now a project or a pile of parts. Please, make this thing a truck again. Keep putting in the hours. Keep putting one foot in front of the other.
All of us that have done many restorations over the years also started with "Our First". That's where you are at. We also had to struggle with firsts. and try to avoid the "While I am at it I might as well",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
You might want to remind yourself that this is your trucks "first incarnation". Get her back on the road and being a vehicle that can once again put a smile on your face before it's too late. If it sits for any length of time without moving towards the finish line it will taunt you or haunt you. Show it who's boss.
Look at some of the builds that have Many posts. Tells you it's been going for quite some time. Read the first page, then jump to the last. See if it's finished, or if it has been sold. If sold, back up from the last page and try to see where/how it all went wrong. Usually it was because it went from "getting it back on the road, to gotta be a SEMA award winner or nothing". Ended up being Nothing.
I write this novel because "I DON'T WANT YOU TO BE LIKE SO MANY OTHER PROJECT BUILDS HERE". We (as a truck community) want you to succeed.
Please ask any question or for suggestions "before" you make up your mind. There are a ton of guys on here with a TON of years experience all yours for free. Just gotta ask.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:35 AM   #5
Advanced Design

Welcome and have fun with your project!

Wayne provides great advice above. Set small goals for the build and be happy when you achieve it. Then keep going.

All best!
Doug
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:47 PM   #6
Sicksty8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhw View Post
Well you sure tore the H*ll outta that thing didn't you? Amazing that they can come apart in two weeks and take years to go back together (most times) usually.
Actually you have done exactly what we recommend new enthusiasts "NEVER DO". Probable over half (maybe 85%) of first time builders jump in the deep end like you have done and at some point after thousands of dollars and hours have been spent, realize that they no longer have the passion or determination to keep going. I HOPE this does not happen to you and your name is added to the list.
When you bought it two weeks ago it was a truck. It no longer is a truck. It is now a project or a pile of parts. Please, make this thing a truck again. Keep putting in the hours. Keep putting one foot in front of the other.
All of us that have done many restorations over the years also started with "Our First". That's where you are at. We also had to struggle with firsts. and try to avoid the "While I am at it I might as well",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
You might want to remind yourself that this is your trucks "first incarnation". Get her back on the road and being a vehicle that can once again put a smile on your face before it's too late. If it sits for any length of time without moving towards the finish line it will taunt you or haunt you. Show it who's boss.
Look at some of the builds that have Many posts. Tells you it's been going for quite some time. Read the first page, then jump to the last. See if it's finished, or if it has been sold. If sold, back up from the last page and try to see where/how it all went wrong. Usually it was because it went from "getting it back on the road, to gotta be a SEMA award winner or nothing". Ended up being Nothing.
I write this novel because "I DON'T WANT YOU TO BE LIKE SO MANY OTHER PROJECT BUILDS HERE". We (as a truck community) want you to succeed.
Please ask any question or for suggestions "before" you make up your mind. There are a ton of guys on here with a TON of years experience all yours for free. Just gotta ask.
First off I want to thank you for the insight and advice. I just wish I could have had someone told me this a bit sooner on. Honestly the original plan was to just get the truck running and driving and fix the rust needed to pass a manitoba safety. But as I was unloading it on my driveway and blowing it apart, plans changed and I got in the"while I'm at it I may as well do this" mode and then it got to the point you see it in now. I'm making small progressions here and ther and I can already, as dumb as it sounds, see something coming together which give me the drive to get this thing done I never got to drive it before I tore into it so that is also a big reason for me to keep going. One of the reasons I joined this forum is to tap into the years of knowledge from guys that have been through this and know what the heck they are doing.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:14 AM   #7
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicksty8 View Post
First off I want to thank you for the insight and advice. I just wish I could have had someone told me this a bit sooner on. Honestly the original plan was to just get the truck running and driving and fix the rust needed to pass a manitoba safety. But as I was unloading it on my driveway and blowing it apart, plans changed and I got in the"while I'm at it I may as well do this" mode and then it got to the point you see it in now. I'm making small progressions here and ther and I can already, as dumb as it sounds, see something coming together which give me the drive to get this thing done I never got to drive it before I tore into it so that is also a big reason for me to keep going. One of the reasons I joined this forum is to tap into the years of knowledge from guys that have been through this and know what the heck they are doing.
You are welcome. I also wish I could have offered up my two cents before. That said, now you are where you are. Like you said "you never got to drive it" so in actuality the truck "never got to put a smile on your face", YET.
Other than the initial rush of ownership and where the endorphins start to rush as the build takes shape in your mind.
Now you have to ask yourself "what's it going to take" to make it run (at least to the corner stop sign), stop, and keep the elements out. That's all an old truck needs to do to put a smile on your face.
Any thoughts on possible fixing the rust in the cab bottom and just putting it back together?
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:23 PM   #8
Sicksty8

Ive already been thinking and making check lists on what has to be done in order to get in driving condition whatever that may be. I'm making progress every day and hope to slap the motor and transmission in this weekend. Then I can make measurements for everything and start on hanging the exhaust. The biggest and most intimidating thing as I think I've mentioned, is th rusty cab. My plans thus far for that is either plan a, buy a cab with either no rust or very little rust or plan b, attempt a full floor replacement. I've done plenty of research already on here to see how and what guys do on a full replacement with bracing and jigging to keep the cab straight and square and I think I'm game to do it in my head but maybe not quite with my "expert" metal working skills.

Anyway I'll post a couple pics of the motor slated for installation this weekend. I had my grandpa help me remove it. I took the whole harness (ended up wasting my time with everything but the engine harness but whatever) got the tac and gas pedal and I took the O2 sensors and ecm. Took the rad, trans and power steering cooler as well as the puke tank and all the hoses and lines that were connected to the motor. I may have taken more than I need but that's always better than less. I've accumulated a lot of info on swaps from other lt1swap.com and a bunch of other guys with their swaps and feel pretty confident with my skills. We'll see how this goes. Should be pretty fun
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2015, 01:47 AM   #9
trac209

Good luck with the build,it's nice to see a fellow peg city person on here
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #10
71Sleeper

Off to a fast start. I will stay along for the ride. good luck!
71Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:11 AM   #11
Sicksty8

So this weekend I made a lot of progress. I ended up getting the motor and trans fitted and set in place. Looks super good and makes me quite happy. I ended up using hooker 1/2" forward motor mount adapters and a cpp tubular trans crossmember meant for a turbo 400. Ended up using some cheapo motor mounts and trans mount from the LPS. The turbo 400 mount fits fine on the 4l80e bolts right up the the crossmember. The only thing I had to do was to trim the frame to fit the exhaust manifolds and the egr boss on the passenger side manifold. I may have trimmed a bit too much but we'll see.

Second thing, went to the salvage yard and scorescored a pretty good deal. I ended up getting a dash pad, Heater controls, almost perfect pair of sun visors and a pair of really nice inner door handles for $25.

Looks super good in the frame rails, hoping to head to the wrecker tomorrow to get a rad and some hoses too start plumbing the engine in.
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2015, 11:44 AM   #12
Sicksty8

Ended up making some progress this week. Went and picked up a rad out of a 01 1500 rad and upper rad hose. The 1500 rad fits perfect in the core support and the hoses both fit with slight mood. All I cut off was 1 inch from both ends and it fit almost like it was meant to be. Next thing I attacked was the fan situation. I got rid of the mechanical fan and picked up a pair of e fans from an early 2000s grand prix. They unbolt from the shroud so they are perfect for a custom shroud. I ended up trying my hand at some custom fab work and I think it turned out pretty good. The next plan of attack is to do the exhaust so stay tuned.
Can you spot the fender difference?! Besides the rust...
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2015, 12:00 PM   #13
raggedjim

Marker lights, looks great!

Good luck, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:58 PM   #14
PBFAB.COM

Looking good! Do you have any plans to reinforce the frame where it was clearanced for the manifold?

Nate

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:26 PM   #15
trac209

Looks great,where did the marker lights come from?
Old 08-12-2015, 11:19 PM   #16
FRANKENSTEINC10

Looking good!!!
FRANKENSTEINC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:51 AM   #17
Sicksty8

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
Marker lights, looks great!

Good luck, Rg
Yup! Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBFAB.COM View Post
Looking good! Do you have any plans to reinforce the frame where it was clearanced for the manifold?

Nate
Thanks! I think I'll have to reconstruct the driver side notch. I think I cut out too much anyway, but what it looks like is if I build it all the way up again, I'll just have to take the manifold off for removal and istalistalation of the motor. The collector looks to fit within the frame rails with no interference. I just wish I would have noticed that before the surgery. As for the passenger side, it isnisn't nearly as much taken out so I don't think it'll be a big problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trac209 View Post
Looks great,where did the marker lights come from?
Thanks! They came off of an 80s ish Chevy van. Look much better and clean up the look a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANKENSTEINC10 View Post
Looking good!!!
Thanks!
Old 08-13-2015, 04:16 PM   #18
trac209

Cool thx I'll be checking the wrecker for some of those lights as mine are in poor shape
Old 09-02-2015, 11:57 PM   #19
Sicksty8

I've been making a bit of progress on the 68. Done a bit on the electrical for the LS and started working on the battery box relocation and fixing some rust on the core support.

Last week I came across a deal too good to pass up though. A 69 C30 motorhome. Runs and rives with a 350 and what I think is a th400. Drove it home over 100kms! Chassis looks good and cab had minimal rust. The electrical was screwed up so I had to hot wire it then pull the distributor power to kill it but still IMO a really good truck to use as the cab and chassis for a flatdeck work truck. Planning on using this as a driver while I work on the 68
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2015, 07:39 AM   #20
Advanced Design

Cool camper! You should check out Homer the motor home build....http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653783
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:08 PM   #21
Sicksty8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Cool camper! You should check out Homer the motor home build....http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653783
Yeah I went through his whole thread before I bought it! Super sweet build. I'm sure glad my pass though didn't go though the roof like his did. All I need to do is patch a 2'x3' section in the back wall and put a window in.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:35 PM   #22
Sicksty8

Guess what time it is?!?! It looks like Christmas came early
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2015, 09:44 PM   #23
Sicksty8

So a couple weeks ago I ended up coming across a sweet deal on a parts truck for both of my project trucks. Found a 69 with pretty well perfect bedsides for it being a Canadian truck just a small spot of rust on the lower edges of the wheel well nothing much. Needs new bed wood and strips but overall everything is great. For ease of transportation I put the bed on the back of Herb and now its making me rethink my plan. Anyway, I've been getting a bit of work done with the chassis to send it off to coating. I had to clearance the passenger motor mount tower because the manifold was less than a millimetre away from it. Not quite weldporn but it looks pretty good for the first thing I've fabbed in a while. Second thing to take care of was notching the frame to fit power steering on. I hope I ended up notching it far enough to clearance the box. Plan to be finished all the frame work for my next payday.
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2015, 12:45 AM   #24
Sicksty8

This evening I got a bit done on the truck. Startedon the exhaust cutouts in the cross member. Boy did these things ever kick my ass. Trying to control a 4" holes on the end of my s*** drill was a workout in and of itself. If you've got access to a torch or have a buddy that has one that would make this process sooooo much better. Anyway one side done now onto the next.
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2015, 08:09 AM   #25
72 tigger

Looks great! Going to be a nice truck when you're done
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote