The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2012, 12:33 AM   #1
butch86

thinking about this trade

so i have a set of aluminum weld tech sbc heads with 220 (iirc) runners 2.05intake and 1.6 exaust. set up for shaft rockers.

a buddy of mine has been buggin me and buggin me for these heads. after watching horspower sat morning and the monster numbers they got out of that 500ci caddy motor. 598hp and tq iirc. no i am not dropping 10 grand to have the motor they built. i am looking at 350 to 400 hp and 450+tq. i remember pulling a 500 out of a old caddy from the early 70s his daddy had in the pasture. the motor is complete from carb to pan water pump to flex plate.

i called him and he agreed if i wanted to do it. what yall think?
Old 05-14-2012, 01:35 AM   #2
400smallblock

Re: thinking about this trade

those caddy motors stock were torque pigs. you will probably have to weld in new motor mounts for the caddy, trans pattern for a caddy isnt the same as a chevy, i think. i would get a turbo 400 to go with it. i read a article about a truck with a 500 caddy in it and it ran pretty good. googled caddy torque output. 472-500 caddys made 500 to 550# of torque at 2500 rpm before 1972 stock! then lower compression and emissions and sae rated power figures. still the 472-500 caddys still had 400 ft lb at 2500 rpm during the "smog" era. real tire smokers.
400smallblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:16 AM   #3
Gumby

Id say the only reason they didn't get more play back then was Caddy geared them things so high for MPG that they couldn't break 100MPH with a tail wind

go for it
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
cdowns

those aluminium heads 220 is quite useless on a street driven daily driver type motor WAYYYY too much// unless you're planning an all out race motor in a lightweight car like a vega or chev2 i'd sell them for any cash offer

those caddys had no problems at all at cruisin all day long on the open highway at 100mph plus all day long with those 5000lb boats
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #5
butch86

i used those heads on a dirt open wheel modified. i have no use for them at all. wierd but my plan was to drop the caddy in a home built frame i have and drop a 52 chevy truck cab mu uncle has on the frame. kinda of my own style rat rod. that 500 caddy would be cool sittin out there with no fenders or hood.

i have no use for the heads anymore. if i ever felt well enough to race again i would go into a stock class dirt drag those heads would be way illeagle anyway.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
Gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post

those caddys had no problems at all at cruisin all day long on the open highway at 100mph plus all day long with those 5000lb boats
Buddies parents had a real nice one when they were newish and buring the 85MPH speedo was about all you got and by then who ever it was you were racing was long gone.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
cdowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Buddies parents had a real nice one when they were newish and buring the 85MPH speedo was about all you got and by then who ever it was you were racing was long gone.
aren't you the guy who cant drive a posi on the street??
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
Gumby

Never had a posi, but have been with others that for the most part I consider very good drivers but it was always a tad scary when with a bit to much happy pedal, you were suddenly facing the wrong direction in the wrong lane.

a planes, trains and automobiles moment to say the least http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_akwHYMdbsM
Old 05-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
Redcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
aren't you the guy who cant drive a posi on the street??
Redcap is offline   Reply With Quote