The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2015, 12:12 AM   #1
Custom/Ten

Anybody ever made a uh....shlong bed? Fleet side between a short and long bed.

Just wondering if anyone has made a fleet side longbed a little shorter? Short beds aren't my taste and long beds are a little too long. I believe the normāl cut down method is 8 under cab and 12 off rear. I'm thinking maybe 4 under cab and 6 off rear. Center the wheels. Anybody ever done it? Custom drive shafts are pretty cheap. Any reason this wouldn't work? Feel feel to tell me if I'm missing something obvious here! A pic would be awesome.
Custom/Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 03:51 AM   #2
HeavyD

Re: Anybody ever made a uh....shlong bed? Fleet side between a short and long bed.

Thats a very interesting idea, actually.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:34 AM   #3
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Anybody ever made a uh....shlong bed? Fleet side between a short and long bed.

I'm sure I saw a stretch-Blazer once. It was about 120 -127" in wheelbase, had fleetsides and a skillfully intermeshed removable cap. The tell was the jc whitney van porthole window near the rear, aft of the usual trapezoidal side window. A buddy who grew up in Detroit said he saw one there and it was called "The Cheyenne''. He thought it was a production model, but insider GM sources have denied the possibility. Maybe just a 'custom' or one-off.

I've also seen "Trazers" -- Blazer-short bed but a separate cab from the bed. About 109 -105" wheelbase. Usually no top.

I even saw a "Twuk" once, with a shortened stepside bed on a 105" [or shorter] K/5 frame. Painted daisy yellow, with a "Tweety Bird" decal in the '67 small rear window. I think it's a local junkyard's pet project.

It would not be much harder to splice the frame rails to whatever length you want, but when you move the frame dimensions to other than factory lengths, you compound your body work tasks.

The longer the frame, the more stability at higher speeds, especially for towing. The shorter the length, the more manueverability in tight spaces like dodgy rock trails or dense urban streets. Also a lighter weight rig, but still a platform for a full-sized engine.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 05-16-2015 at 05:49 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 03:00 PM   #4
bpatrol

I think a few people have done a 7 foot bed. looks good actualy.
someone on here has done it.
bpatrol
bpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 03:55 PM   #5
Custom/Ten

Thanks guys, I'm still looking but haven't seen any 67-72s. I saw an older one, I think it was a 66. I think I'm gonna go with a 7 footer but I'll keep researching as it will be a while before I can get started. Got finals Monday then I graduate and get to find a job where I can make some decent money and get out of this damn rental and buy a place with a garage. Can't wait! I'm so tired of digging around in a gravel/mud driveway looking for dropped bolts lmao. Anybody who's been in this situation knows what I'm talking about!
Old 05-16-2015, 04:35 PM   #6
leftybass209

There's no reason it couldn't be done. I'd put it in photoshop and do some visuals before I committed to cutting it up. I've seen some trucks with only the front half of the bed lopped off and asthetically it's very obvious something is askew. It'd be interesting to see a medium bed truck. Best of luck!
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:20 PM   #7
Custom/Ten

Yea I know what you mean. I won't be just cutting off the front of the bed, the better cut downs I have seen they have taken sections out of the front and rear, then centered the wheel well. I think a bed cut down would actually work better when your only taking a foot out too, only problem being that I've never seen it before ānd might have to figure it out myself. I figure worse case scenario it ends up as a short bed and could end up needing to buy a new bed. Good thing is I've got lots of time to plan as I'm waiting till I move.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:48 PM   #8
LMREESE

The flatbed I just built for my 67 is 7'
Old 05-16-2015, 08:27 PM   #9
Willys47

I took 12" out of the front the box
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2015, 08:29 PM   #10
Willys47

one more
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2015, 09:20 PM   #11
SOON2BLAZE
Account Suspended

A few years ago there was one on here that had the long bed chopped in the back. Then you only have to bob the back to the bed and the ends of the frame. IMHO the proportions were out of whack.
SOON2BLAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:09 PM   #12
Custom/Ten

Thumbs up Re: Anybody ever made a uh....shlong bed? Fleet side between a short and long bed.

Thanks for the pic willys! I really like the length of that bed. I think I will try to get my wheels a little further back. That's a nice truck though and after seeing that pic I really think a 7 footer is the way to go.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:02 PM   #13
HeavyD

I have always wondered why the rear wheels arent centered in the opening on 67-72s...GM obviously thought it was a good idea.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:21 PM   #14
Custom/Ten

Yea bugs me too, I don't get it! Wonder if they had a reason, can't imagine what it would be.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:38 PM   #15
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom/Ten View Post
Just wondering if anyone has made a fleet side longbed a little shorter? Short beds aren't my taste and long beds are a little too long. I believe the normāl cut down method is 8 under cab and 12 off rear. I'm thinking maybe 4 under cab and 6 off rear. Center the wheels. Anybody ever done it? Custom drive shafts are pretty cheap. Any reason this wouldn't work? Feel feel to tell me if I'm missing something obvious here! A pic would be awesome.

You are backwards on your figures. Normal to make a short bed is 12" under the cab and 8" off the rear....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:59 PM   #16
Hubscrub
Cruzin

I've seen some photoshops of it and really like it. Comes up on here time to time, I like being different.

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:54 PM   #17
Custom/Ten

Thumbs up Re: Anybody ever made a uh....shlong bed? Fleet side between a short and long bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
You are backwards on your figures. Normal to make a short bed is 12" under the cab and 8" off the rear....

LockDoc
Thanks doc, that could of ended bad! Jk sometimes I ramble, I'll make sure I get it figured out and it'll be down on paper before a ever pic up a tool . At this point I'm in the pre-research stage where I'm just shooting the sheet lol. I always spreciate advice though.