The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2008, 04:21 AM   #1
HotRodYJ

which 4 bags for the rear of my tandem?

I've read where guys thuink the RE8 bags are too much for the rear of a truck and make the ride too soft. On my tandem project, I will be running 2 bags on each rear axle. I was planning on RE7 bags back there but what is your opinion on runnign 4 RE7 bags? Wont that potentially have the same soft issue as the RE8 bags or maybe even worse? Should I run RE6 or even RE5 bags back there since there will be 4 of them?

My junk: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=480902
HotRodYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:40 AM   #2
bodydropped

Re: which 4 bags for the rear of my tandem?

re7s will be the best bet but like they said it all comes down to the kind of shocks you run, almost all my buddys who have bagged fullsizes run either the 7s or the 8s in the rear since the 7s are the same as a 2600 stone
bodydropped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:01 AM   #3
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

Why does everyone want to run such an overrated bag on the back of their truck? Run a sleeve bag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F9000's are rated for 1200 pounds a piece. I think four of them would be enough to pick up the rear end of an unloaded pick up. Maybe?

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:46 AM   #4
Kontrol Phreaks

Since you're going to be entending the length of the chassis and bed, you'll want to think about the added weight. The RE7's would work fine and get you about 7-8 inches of lift while over the axle. If you go with the RE8's you wount notice much of a difference in ride since it's still going to be over the axle. You will have higher weight load rating and get 8-9 inches of travel. I would definately not go with the RE6's or RE5's since they're not going to give you the lift, or the ride you'll want.

The Firestone F9000 is a great bag to run on a bag over axle setup as well. That bag will give you 9 inches of lift and an excellent ride since it's a sleeve bag. The only draw back to that bag is that it has a 1/4 port, and it's not reccomended for fast air systems. That's not going to be relative in your application though I would guess.

Also with the sleeve bag you need some bumpstops to prevent the airbag from collasping on itself, and a limiter so you don't over extend the bag. By over extending those bags you risk tearing them at the crimp, which shortens the airbag and puts you at risk of loosing an airbag.

The options are out there for you to choose from.

Good luck with the project.