The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2016, 12:17 AM   #1
ezz16

who names their truck or car? long

Hello been here a while I'm a 58 year old car guy in all my years and rides i never named any of them. but I bought a 55 1st series Chevy last November. it had been modified in 1990 but sat since 94 . I liked it based on all the pics in the add and what the guy sent me. I said I'll take it drove 3 hours to trailer it home once home my wife and 15yo son looked and wondered. ???
off the top of my head I said "she photographs well we should call her Marilyn after Monroe .
well the name stuck and she has been used in a few photo shoots of a church youth group and a cruise in.
Attached Images

ezz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:28 AM   #2
MARTINSR

Re: who names their truck or car? long

I have to tell you, I grew up in a car family. My dad was a salesman, I drove more cars by the time I turned 18 than most people will drive their whole lives. I bought my 48 Chevy pickup with I was 15, my mom drove an Impala Conv, my dad had a '55 F-100 with a 364 Buick Nailhead in it when the truck was only 10 years old. We lived old cars and brand new cars.

That all being said I think my dad would have disowned any of us kids or mom if we would have named a car. LOL That and a bumper sticker, OMG he would have bit the head off a rat before he put a bumper sticker on a car. And none of us ever would have dreamed of it...but we change.

This is my daily driver. I don't know when it hit me, but for some reason before I even drove it, I named her Marge. I have no idea, it's not like the car is sexy but I named her after my neighbors mom when I was a kid, she was kinda hot. LOL The bumper stickers, well the bumper had a hole in the middle of it and I thought what the heck and got on Ebay and bought this Nixon election sticker. I then figured, I'm a Giants fan and put a vintage Giants sticker (from '59, the year of the car) and then I came across the vintage Fremont dragstrip sticker that a friend of mine gave me years ago and I stuck it on my MIG welder! I peeled it off the welder and stuck it on Marge's rearend.

Soooooo, I couldn't end it there. This is Jessica, after Roger Rabbits Jessica. Of course Marge calls her "The topless slut in the red dress." LOL

I don't take this stuff nearly as serious as I once did (or life in general), I have fun.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:48 AM   #3
Advanced Design

Wow Brian, Jessica is hot! LOL

We name our vehicles though I have to admit not very creatively. Dually, Burb for the 72, Burby for the 48, and so on.

The 52 Buick a friend owns is named Emma after the original owner.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:19 AM   #4
Keith Seymore

Quote:
who names their truck or car?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ghlight=Harold

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 04-22-2016 at 07:24 AM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:24 AM   #5
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I have to tell you, I grew up in a car family. My dad was a salesman, I drove more cars by the time I turned 18 than most people will drive their whole lives. I bought my 48 Chevy pickup with I was 15, my mom drove an Impala Conv, my dad had a '55 F-100 with a 364 Buick Nailhead in it when the truck was only 10 years old. We lived old cars and brand new cars.

That all being said I think my dad would have disowned any of us kids or mom if we would have named a car. LOL That and a bumper sticker, OMG he would have bit the head off a rat before he put a bumper sticker on a car. And none of us ever would have dreamed of it...but we change.
This resonated with me, too.

Dad worked for GM and raced professionally for Pontiac Motor Division. He was given a new car to race every year from 1963 to 1968. I was probably 45 years old before I realized you could touch the exterior painted surface of a car with your bare hand and not have something terrible happen.

Bumper stickers were out of the question. Nonetheless, we do change (as evidenced below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Soooooo, I couldn't end it there. This is Jessica, after Roger Rabbits Jessica. Of course Marge calls her "The topless slut in the red dress." LOL
I have called my tractor an "adulterous wench" when it would not start. Family got a kick out of that.

K
Attached Images

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 04-22-2016 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:19 AM   #6
ezz16

ahh yes the bumper sticker. I had forgotten about those. Dad would get really mad because way back when you went to some attractions in the mountains Tweetsie railroad and Rock City come to mind. they would actually put the bumper sticker on your car while it was parked in the lot. and you might not notice for a couple days
SEE ROCK CITY
ezz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:59 AM   #7
58CameoAZ

And then you named it "BRAD"!!!! And then you Totaled "BRAD"

and then you made a phone call to your insurance, and they said you were covered,

and then you broke out into your Happy Dance!

OH! how i HATE that Commercial.

Sorry,
Allen
58CameoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:38 AM   #8
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezz16 View Post
ahh yes the bumper sticker. I had forgotten about those. Dad would get really mad because way back when you went to some attractions in the mountains Tweetsie railroad and Rock City come to mind. they would actually put the bumper sticker on your car while it was parked in the lot. and you might not notice for a couple days
SEE ROCK CITY
...unless you were my dad, and they put the "Rock City" bumper sticker (with wire attachments) on the endura front bumper of your brand new '68 GTO....

Somehow he knew that was on there before he even saw the car.

K
1986 - 2019
Old 04-22-2016, 03:19 PM   #9
mr48chev

She (My daughter Kerri ) named the 48 "Little" when she was the age you see her in the photo. That was at the 1982 Chevy GMC Truckin Nationals in Ogden. First trip out with the new paint and fresh chrome.

The name has stuck ever since and at a time we also had "Big" a 77 1 ton 4x4 crew cab.

A truck has to be given a name with meaning though, you just don't sit down around the table and decide to come up with a name then and there.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:57 PM   #10
torchlight

Mom & Dad bought "Marvin" in 1981, the year I was born. No one really knows why exactly, but when I got to the age where I could start talking, I started to refer to the truck as "Marvin." And he's been "Marvin" ever since! For the most part, Marvin has had a name and a personality and has been kind of like a pseudo-family-member my whole life, so it is hard to imagine him as just a truck without a name.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:33 PM   #11
70gmcjimmy
GMCDAC

Those are some cool rides and names! Our names aren't real creative, my wife and kids call the '55 "Mater" for obvious reasons, but I just call it "My "OL '55" named after a song The Eagles did in the '70s. It fits the song's description real well. Our '72 GMC I named "Long Hard Ride" after a Marshall Tucker Band song, back in the late 1980's as it looked like it was going to be in the family for a long time, and it still is. Our '70 Jimmy is simply "Mom's Jimmy" as a single Mom she was "In Love" with the truck she worked so hard to buy and then drove it 30 years.

I have 2 garden tractors from the early-mid 1970's and one from the mid sixties that are named for the folks I got them from, Uncle Bill, Dick and Ron.

DAC
Attached Images

Rest In Peace Mom. "Dolly" 7/15/23 - 5/18/09
GMC driver for 30 years!

70gmcjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:51 PM   #12
70gmcjimmy
GMCDAC

Oh here's some old bumper stickers too. There is a "Nixon" one but not "Nixon Lodge", MartinSr! I stick them to magnetic sign film so they can be removed if a refrigerator or whatever they are stuck on fails or needs to be thrown out. These are on a file cabinet.

DAC
Attached Images

Rest In Peace Mom. "Dolly" 7/15/23 - 5/18/09
GMC driver for 30 years!

70gmcjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:00 PM   #13
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Columbus...My mom and dad have a 1957 international 3/4 ton 4x4 that they've owned since 1962..they named him Columbus,, cause he was so old he looked like he came over on the ship with him.only vehicle weve ever named.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 12:11 AM   #14
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchlight View Post
Mom & Dad bought "Marvin" in 1981, the year I was born. No one really knows why exactly, but when I got to the age where I could start talking, I started to refer to the truck as "Marvin." And he's been "Marvin" ever since! For the most part, Marvin has had a name and a personality and has been kind of like a pseudo-family-member my whole life, so it is hard to imagine him as just a truck without a name.

Holy crap Marvin is a daaaamn nice looking truck! That color is absolutely amazing on it!

Brian

Old 04-23-2016, 12:14 AM   #15
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70gmcjimmy View Post
Oh here's some old bumper stickers too. There is a "Nixon" one but not "Nixon Lodge", MartinSr! I stick them to magnetic sign film so they can be removed if a refrigerator or whatever they are stuck on fails or needs to be thrown out. These are on a file cabinet.

DAC

I have changed the presidential sticker a few times, they don't last long out in the weather. What's funny is they look so funky in a short while that people think it was stuck on there during the campaign.

Brian

Old 04-23-2016, 08:23 AM   #16
1project2many

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58CameoAZ View Post
And then you named it "BRAD"!!!! And then you Totaled "BRAD"

and then you made a phone call to your insurance, and they said you were covered,

and then you broke out into your Happy Dance!

OH! how i HATE that Commercial.

Sorry,
Allen
Funny stuff! I can't stay in the room when that commercial comes on.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:53 AM   #17
MARTINSR

I have two favorite car commercials that I can see over and over. One if the Mazda 3 one with the kid driving through the mountains and the CHP comes along side of him. This kid is a darn near identical match to a co-worker, every single mannerism he uses, expressions, actually looks, everything. And the real funny thing is he had just bought his first new car after driving a piece of garbage for years, a Mazda 3 when that commercial came out! LOLOL We played it at the shop and everyone was about floored, laughing their asses off.

The other favorite of mine makes me laugh out loud every time, the Lexus commercial with the woman backing up lift gate open and all the guys stuff falls out into his driveway. OMG that is funny stuff "It's complicated" LOLOLOL

Brian

Old 04-23-2016, 01:39 PM   #18
OrrieG

Hunting partners named my truck Mongo (after character in Blazing Saddles) and it stuck.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:58 PM   #19
BKWDco

My toys always get names. It helps my wife understand what I am talking about, between the dirt bikes, road bikes, mt bikes, and trucks. I've found that naming them makes it less confusing. It also makes it fun to slip into conversation, ie Maggie needs new braces, translates to "i need to budget some money for a big project." This is Maggie. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1461625058
Attached Images

BKWDco is offline   Reply With Quote