The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
curreli2

Amatuer Couple attacking '51 5 window

Found this forum a couple days ago.Read almost every build thread and kinda got up to speed on what to do to these trucks to make 'em right.

We (wife and I), have a '51 5 window chevy. We are picking the truck up fathers day weekend from Florida. My father bought the truck about 5 years from a family in Texarkana,Tx. He finally went and picked it up a couple weeks ago. Some how my wife convinced him to "donate" it to us.

The plan for the truck is to make it a cruise truck. Were not looking for a show truck. Im pretty handy, have done a little welding and fabricating.

Body: for the most part, its in decent shape. Wont know exactly until we get it. I've only seen a couple pics. Dad said there is minor rust. But his minor and my minor could be major.....

Frame: plan to obviously box the frame for strength. Front is most likely going to be a drop axle from Sids. Adding power steering. Rearend will consist of a 4 link suspension with coilovers. Already looking for a couple different versions for rearend. I have some quickchanges and one ford 9".

Motor will either be a built 350 or a 454. Have access to both, just have to decide. 700r4 for tranny...

That is about all I have for now...Once I get it back from FL and start breaking it down I get some detailed photos...
Attached Images

curreli2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #2
Atommik

Re: Amatuer Couple attacking '51 5 window

Welcome to the forum!! As you said, it's great reading everyone's build threads...so many ideas!

I found this site about 2 1/2 years ago. I bought my truck 2 years ago and it's almost ready to drive.

Enjoy your build, enjoy your truck!!
Atommik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
mknittle

this is the best message board that I know of! There is a wide range of experience here. all are wiling to help.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
oldman3

and welcome to the site. Lots of knowledge on here and people willing to help out with advice. Look forward to more pics and info....Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
pgf545

Welcome to the forum, I found this forum about the time I started on my dads truck. We are doing a 52 but it is about the same as a 51. We are doing a big block with a 700r4, its pretty tight but it does work. Let me know if you need anything. Look at my build thread and there is probably some pictures of the motor and transmission setup

Bernie
Old 06-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #6
curreli2

Well, the wife and I decided to pick up the truck early. Just got back from Florida. Hopefully get it all unloaded into the garage this week. Going to start
on it next weekend.
The gentleman that previously owned it attempted to "fix" the problems.
He did more damage than good. Body has tons of bondo, going to try and
find a blaster close by to see what I'm working with. The Journey begins....
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #7
curreli2

Ill also figure out a way to get more photos on here.... Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #8
Baldeagle SR

Welcome and good luck with your project. Sounds like you have a good idea what you want. Rich
Baldeagle SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:19 PM   #9
curreli2

Thanks for all the kind words.... Hope all the pics come up. There are some issues witht he frame. Previous owner wleded all over the place and cut things out to make things fit. Luckily, we were going to start from the frame up anyways.
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2013, 03:57 PM   #10
curreli2

Well....Got "betsy" unloaded and into the garage. Note to all the people doing a build. When you get the truck, take the gas tank and lines out before you put it inside. Wife is helping build, but wasnt happy about the smell. Last time this truck was driven was '02, atleast that what the registration sticker says.

After we got all that out, I started on getting the wood bed out. Then, getting the rear fenders and braces off. The bed looks to be in pretty bad shape. Side rails are mangled. But, im sure there is worse out there. Hopefully by this weekend ill have the rear body off and then ill start on the front. Wont know how bad rust is until blasting...

Found a local blaster who restores cars in his spare time. He also owns a auto repair shop. Quoted me for blasting the frame, cab forward and rear fenders for $1000.Thought that was pretty cheap... I may get the bed sides done also, just depends on how bent up they are. He also told me he uses different psi to do the body, so that was comforting. Dont want him destroying metal panels ....

Already hunting a rearend. Was going quickchange or 9", but thinking about an explorer rearend. Local junkyard says they have plenty, so hopefully i can get down there in the next week or two.Thats where we stand. Once I get all the crap off, ill snap some pictures and get em up
Old 06-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #11
xpickup

curreli2, Welcome to the site. This is a great site and there a a lot of great people on it. I am always glad to help if you need anything you think I can help with. As for the rear end, I would go with the explorer one. They are cheap, strong and some have disc brakes. I used one in the 54 truck I did. Sounds like a great plan for the truck.

Shannon
xpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:07 AM   #12
av8tr33337

Subscribed!!!!

Bartman's Ad-S10 Chassis Swap
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415418

My First Youtube Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6hSt...eature=channel

More Pics of the 51 Project
http://s668.photobucket.com/albums/v...hassis%20Swap/

1951 3100 Pickup
av8tr33337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:08 AM   #13
focusedontheprize

Hey, welcome to the site.

Like XPickup mention, the Explorer has my vote also. I put one in my '49 and couldn't be happier with it.
focusedontheprize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #14
curreli2

Teardown is going along best as a teardown can go.... Havent run into many problems that should be too tuff to fix.

Bed is off, got all the glass out, going to be starting on the cab and frontend this weekend.

What is everyone opinions on frontends...?? Orginally i planned to get an axle and components from Sids. But, im re-thinking. Possibly going with a mustang clip. What are some secrets and ideas to acheive a 2-4 drop? Drop spindles? Who to buy from? Still going with 4-link in back.