The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2005, 03:24 PM   #1
62ChevyStep

Question Windshield rubber gasket/seal help

Just had a new windshield installed, not sure who the glass company got their gasket/seal from. The seal is great with the exception of the bottom corner on each side (Highlighted), it wants to curl in and not lay smoothly up against the truck body. Is their any one specific company that makes the "Perfect Seal/Gasket" for a 60-63 windshield? We will be removing it in the distant future to perform all the body work, I would like to have a "Good" one ready for the reinstall. Is there any "tricks of the trade" that anyone knows from experience that could help cure this issue?

Thanks in advance
Attached Images

05'Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5
62ChevyStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 06:04 PM   #2
Frizzle Fry

All I can see are some sick wheels... I'd like to know too
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 06:46 PM   #3
El Caballo

Well, you have a compound curve there and regrettably, not all gaskets are made equally. I'm getting a '62 and I have to replace the windshield as well, so I'm soon to be in the same boat as you. I don't know the Chevy vendors yet, but trying to find the best quality no matter the price will always be worth it. Check to see if there are areas that the gasket is stretched, it could be that inexperience with old vehicles raising its head.
El Caballo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 03:17 PM   #4
62ChevyStep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry
All I can see are some sick wheels... I'd like to know too
Thanks Friz, I like them they sure add alot to the look of the truck, I cant wait to get it lowered.

I contacted a couple of the "Ol' Timers" around here that are in all the classic truck and car clubs and are constant winners in the shows, they pointed me in the right direction as far as the "Best Installer" around here. I called him and have an appointment for next tuesday, one of the question he asked right off was did the guy use a rope? I told him no, he said "Bring it in" so we are putting in a new gasket, (from some company he has dealt with for years) (I will get the name and post it) and he said a little soap and water (NO SILICONE), rope (and like Dvalentine said on www.chevytalk.com) absoulutley insure that the gasket is lined up dead center on the glass before starting the install, glass goes in top first. I will fill you all in more tuesday evening when I get back from this guys shop.

Last edited by 62ChevyStep; 09-22-2005 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:58 PM   #5
El Caballo

Yep, I knew it, they probably felt they could do anything with glue...
Old 09-22-2005, 05:42 PM   #6
littlee_domn8r
AKA "Hurricane Hank"

I had my windshield replaced a few months ago. I used a seal from GMCPauls.com and have had no problems. I think it cost around $30 or $40, which is half what the glass shop wanted to charge. I think Brother's would have a good quality one as well.

"They say hard work never killed anyone, But why take a chance?

63 GMC C10 Custom LWB 355/350 AT
00 Chevy Silverado 1500 base V6/AT
07 Chevy Monte Carlo SS 5.3 V8
littlee_domn8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:09 PM   #7
63sbssbbw
UCA63

Please keep us posted '62 I'm having mine replaced early next week , also suspecting a cheap gasket am going with one that's twice the price and still crossing my fingers. the installer said he'd done a '55 chevy car a year or so ago , I think my '63 has as much compound but more curve so I'm hoping this 3rd one is the last one (installer & windshield)
Thanx T
member#7816
"63 sb ss bbw 350\350 12 bolt rear Pwr Fr Disc PS tilt
'61 GMC in progress
'63 GMC to use for parts
'90 Chevy Ext cab sbfs 5.7l (current d d)
63sbssbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 07:15 PM   #8
62ChevyStep

UPDATE on Install

OK, here is the saga of the week: I took the 62' up to the "other" installer this morning, this guy is the one who is very familar with our trucks and who does 99% of the classic show cars within Eastern New Mexico. He took one look at the window/install job and shook his head, he said I won't touch it because the glass is cut too short in the corner! That is why it wouldnt seal and the gasket wouldn't fit.

The glass was produced by a company called SureVue, he had never heard of it before and will only install PPG or LOF/Pilkingston. He said they are the only two companys that he knows produce to OEM standards and specifications everytime and stand by they're product. He said hes sure there are others but he hasn't tried them since he "goes with what he knows"!!

He called me an hour ago, pulled the bad glass and gasket, cleaned the channel and installed the new glass and gasket!!

His installed price gasket/glass/everything was $487.00 used a rope, water and a little soap, sealed up perfectly as if from the factory. I pick up the truck in the AM. The first installer is meeting me in the morning to pick it up and reimburse me my $450 I paid him to do a shoddy job. I will not be using him again nor recommend him to anybody, for not having the integrity to "fix" the problem knowing the glass was defective. Honesty/integrity is everything to me, as I say, "Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining"!!

I hope each of you have a better experience than I did, I will find out who he gets his gasket/seal from and post it when I get back along with pictures of the "Correct finished product".

Last edited by 62ChevyStep; 09-29-2005 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:16 PM   #9
El Caballo

Words to live by. I'm going to have to have mine replaced as well...
Old 09-28-2005, 01:15 AM   #10
62ChevyStep

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Caballo
Words to live by. I'm going to have to have mine replaced as well...

well if you want it done correctly the first time and the truck will make the 150 mile trip to Clovis NM go see OV at Master Trim on Main Street. He is one of the owners, a real stand up guy.

I am sure there is someone close by Borger, or Amarillo, TX. If there is anything I can do to help, contact me and I will get with OV and see if we can help. These windows are too expensive to make mistakes with.