The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2002, 09:20 PM   #1
Danny69'

Billet Grill question...

I'm kinda confused with out the billet grills work. Now, when you go find something who makes a billet grill, and it says 170 bucks or whatever, that is just for the billet insert.. correct? Then you would have to back a 71-72 outer grill shell and the billet will fit right in there? Can something help me out on how much it would cost for the whole grill, billet, outter, and headlight bezels would cost. My grill was stolen so I need to get a new one and was looking into billets anyways.. Thanks...
Old 09-08-2002, 09:40 PM   #2
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

As I type I'm looking at a bill from "STYLINCONCEPTS.COM on a BILLET. This is not the PHANTOM. The total was $142.40 delivered. I'm polishing my outer grille and am almost done and sat down today and read the instructions on the install. Very straight forward and easy. I started with a 70 outer grille and had to cut the center out, I bent the ends where i cut it to smooth it and as I said I'm now polishing the outer and taking out some small dings that were in it.
If you are going to buy a new grille then buy the 71-2 outer so you don't have to remove the center section. then the BILLET sits in the middle and you drill some holes and bolt it in.

RON
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 09:48 PM   #3
lotik
drag it like you stole it

phantom

anyone installed one of these? i read that it requires exstensive fabrication. what kind of fabrication is that. just recessing the headlights? i am getting the grille just wondering what all was involved.
Old 09-08-2002, 10:58 PM   #4
72chevyLWB
Got 20's????

You are getting a phantom grille????? Oh man do they suck to install, but they looks sweet. HMMMM, where do I start. First you have to cut out the entire area that is black on the grille (around the headlight bezels). Then you have to set the grille up to it and trim the grille to fit inside the aluminum shell. Once you have that fitting right you will have to remove the brackets that are rivited to the grille that bolt to the fender. They must be trimmed where they rivited to the grille in the first place (on top and bottom of the headlights). Now you can install the billet into the shell and bend, cut and do whatever you have to do to make their brackets work (not too hard though) and install. But wait, when you hold the grille up to the truck it won't go on all the way because your fender points out in a certain spot and it must be smacked with a hammer to remove the point in the fender. You will see this spot on the top inner part of the fender where the outer grill (used) to cover. Just give it a few good taps to get it level with the rest of the fender. Then remove the brace that goes in the center of the grille and throw that away or remove the part that bolted to the original inner grille. Now that thats out of the way you have to recess your headlights (WOOOHOOO). drill out the original spot welds that hold the headlight brackets on. Take it off and grind off the sides of it so its just a flat piece of tin with all the stuff for mounting the headlights in it. Just set them on the radiator support so the mounting is right and drill holes and use screws or rivets to hold them on. The headlight adjusting screws will also have to be trimmed down. Then install the lights, grille and have fun.
Attached Images

72chevyLWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 11:03 PM   #5
72chevyLWB
Got 20's????

I will have to get some better pictures. The first one looks like mesh. Hey Ron, post pics with the grille all polished up.
Old 09-08-2002, 11:06 PM   #6
lotik
drag it like you stole it

thats the trenz phantom grille? is yours polished or satin finish?
Old 09-08-2002, 11:10 PM   #7
72chevyLWB
Got 20's????

Its the brushed aluminum one. check out these posts. Phantom grilles don't turn out well in pics.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Phantom+grille

If you decide to get one and need more info or help just PM me or something. I will do whatever I can to help. They look sweet, just take alot of butching/work to make them work. Yes its TRENZ and they are spendy for all the work you have to do. They are also supposed to come with headlight relocators, but the original purchaser must have lost them or something.

Last edited by 72chevyLWB; 09-08-2002 at 11:12 PM.