The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
flashed

72 Brake Questions

Is there an easy way to adjust the brakelight switch and an easy way to bleed brakes by yourself ? I just installed my new power brake booster and master cylinder and the brake lights are constantly on and I need to bleed the brakes but dont have a helper. I do know where the brake light switch is at ,its just that my fingers have arthritis and is hard to get them to cooperate with me sometimes. Any suggestions much appreciated .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Re: 72 Brake Questions

I got a one man bleeder kit from the auto parts place, I think Harbor Freight has them as well. It's a little bottle with a tube and a magnet on it. Open the bleeder, hook it up, stick bottle to the truck above the bleeder, pump brake pedal til there's fluid in the bottle and your done. Sorry, can't help on the brake lights, but I believe it's adjustable at the switch.

Last edited by Sinister; 04-07-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:41 PM   #3
mstrav1973

there is also a vaccum bleeder kit that pulls the fluid through the line. you can also by it at harbor freight or any of the typical parts houses
Old 04-07-2010, 10:20 PM   #4
cdowns

i just pump the brakes and place a cement brick on the pedal then open and close the bleeder// been doing it that way over 40years with good results// takes a bit of practice to get the brick positioned correctly but does the job

you need to clamp the pin on the prop vale to properly bleed these bbrakes thats where the light on the dashboard comes from

for complete directions on bleeding properly read the service manual for detailed instructions

brakellight switch is under dash by brake arm and easily adjustable
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY

Last edited by cdowns; 04-07-2010 at 10:23 PM.
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:25 PM   #5
Jobe72

I use a length of 2x4 between the pedal and steering wheel to hold the pedal down when I bleed the brakes, almost never have a helper handy! Works great, just make sure you keep the fluid level up, the backs go quick. Also if you got a new master did you bench bleed it?
Jobe72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:31 AM   #6
flashed

Thanks for all suggestions so far ,and yes I did bench bleed the master cylinder.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:39 AM   #7
petey-pablo
"THE GREEN GOBLIN"

I just ajusted my brake light switch a couple of weeks ago my brake lights wern't turnning on. It really isn't that bad you have to reach under the dash up into the brake pedal assembly make sure you have a flash light to see what you are doing it should be a white switch on the brake pedal.Just push down on the brake with your hand and you could see the switch I am talking about. I have a bad back so it took me a couple of trys to get it right best place to do it is in the garage with the door closed if you have no one to help you, that way you can see the brake light reflection on the garage door to get it the way you want it. Hope this helps sorry for the long story
Front 2.5inch Spindles with 2inch Springs Rear 4inch drop Springs.
454BBC TH400,Posi

1971 Cheyenne 10 Long Fleet Side
454BBC TH350,Posi Sold

Drive it like you stole it!
Petey-pablo@sbcglobal.net
petey-pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:51 PM   #8
flashed

Guys ,for such a simple thing as adjusting the brakelight switch I went through 1 1/2 hours of hell on my back. Seems the p.o. cross threaded the nut on top of the switch which made it almost impossible to get off in such a tight spot. I dropped the steering column down as far as it would go to give me some extra room and used a couple of small crescent wrenches and a few choice cuss words until it finally cooperated with me. I then started bleeding the brakes and realized I was loosing too much brake fluid and found it puddled under the rear axle. Im not sure where its coming from but probably broken lines since the wheel cylinders and everything else is new. Seems I go 1 step forward and 2 steps back. I must love this truck cause it fights me every step and I keep coming back for more.