The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2008, 02:46 AM   #1
Mertz

Quadrajet adapter plate

I am going to convert my 350 from an Edelbrock carb to a Quadrajet. I have a performer manifold that is only for a square bore. How much performance will I loose by using an adapter plate? I understand it is best to use a 4 hole plate rather than an open plate.

I am looking for better normal driving gas mileage while having some more power to pull my 5000lb trailer up a 7% grade. It really bogs down now and has to down shift frequently. I am hoping the bigger secondaries and the way they work on the Qjet will make it easier to climb the long hill.

I have a stock cam, MSD ignition, roller tip rockers and ceramic coated headers. I have the time set as far advanced as I can. It did ping a little with the trailer but not under other conditions. I switched to higher octane and the ping went away. It also got better mileage without the trailer going from fishing hole to fishing hole.
Mertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:35 AM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Quadrajet adapter plate

I don't know that a 4 hole one would work with a quadrajet, the huge secondarys may hit. I would just get an open one. Generally, they tend to help torque a tad, and help upper end power too. However, they are so sensitive to design of spacer/adapter and to engien combo... there is absolutly no way of telling what it'll do.
in all reality, you'll probably notice little to no chainge that is spacer/adapter related. If you feel anything, it'll probably be the carb you feel.
Just stay away from the goofy ones that look restrictive.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:40 AM   #3
Billla
Account Suspended

The purpose of the large secondaries in the Q-jet was to provide better low-speed driveability and fuel economy. You'll see zero difference from the swap. There's probably money well spent for a higher stall torque converter as well. Anything more than 36 degrees mechanical advance won't make more power - and an adjustable vacuum advance is probably a good choice.

IMHO, the problem is tuning, not the carb.

Last edited by Billla; 04-10-2008 at 04:41 AM.
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:53 AM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

bill, if he has a stock engine, and is trying to get better MPG, why would he not be better off with the quadrajet?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote