The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2002, 10:34 PM   #1
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

Anyone have a turbo or twin turbo setup? want to see pics of turbos.

I was thinking of maybe a turbo, maybe a twin turbo. Just to be different. would look bad a$$!! Anyone out there have a setup like that and would like to share pics.

Thanks

Jason
jmanz69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 11:17 PM   #2
ty1295

I have a turbo on my 4.3 in my typhoon. Came factory, even though I have modified it from factory, and is going under extensive modifications as we speak.

I was always a big v8 rumpity rump kindof guy, until I got into turbo stuff. Had someone suggest I put turbos on another project I had at one time, I just discounted it as complex for very little gain. Was I wrong.

I am a turbo freak now. For example on my STOCK typhoon, on the chassis dyno I put to rear tires, 313hp and 450ft lbs of torque @ ~3500 rpm. Turbos make lots of power and torque at low rpm. The motor itself doesn't have to be very special either, just strong. A buddy in Canada recently built a 4.3, stock block, crank 4 bolt splayed caps) stock vortec heads, stainless valves, very little porting just cleanup, stock exhaust manifolds, stock computer, stock intake, etc etc. ~$3500 into it. On the chassis dyno when they were doing the final tuning, the tires were slipping ~25% by best guesses, and he made 590ish hp @ ~4k rpm, and torque was 600 range if I remeber right. Truck ended up running a 10.7 in quarter, and he drives it to work. (www.turbogm.com if you want to see video of run)

The biggest thing about turbos, is the fuel injection. In my opinion turbos and carbs don't mix well. Once you are not scared to get into fuel injection, turbos are just a matter of a few more bends on the exhaust, and up to double the power.

If you want some pics of 4.3 setup let me know, or some suggestions email me jeff@nwstp.com
'92 GMC typhoon
'95 Tahoe
ty1295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 12:02 AM   #3
Ackattack

I saw a guy on hot rod power tour with a twin turbo 1st gen camaro, carburated. It was a pretty neat set up. I talked to the guy for quite some time.

Modern turbo set ups with computers and fuel injection are a lot more liveable for daily drivers though.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 02:30 AM   #4
Reumster
L.E.D. Freak

ty1295 ! Man I envy you! I want a Ty/Sy so bad I can taste it!

But heres the place to call and ask about turbos for our trucks check this picture 1200hp twin turbo 1972 Chevy 2wd Blazer

(406)675-8082
or Joel @ jmcwaters@eps-corp.net

1972 2wd Blazer, 350/700R4/3:73 posi, err & Custom L.E.D. inserts! LOL
Reumster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 06:30 PM   #5
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

I like the pic of the twin turbo Blazer. I wonder if it could be done with a single or do V8's like twin better? I noticed the heater box had been removed to make room for the second turbo, I would like to keep mine if I could. Also, what kind of turbos are best for V8's, ie. make and A/R. I bet I could get them off ebay and since I have to fab the rest I could maybe save a couple bucks. Second thought is could I use turbos with a TPI system. I was thinking of going TPI on my 327 w/vortec heads, and then I had the turbo idea. Would be cool to do both, but I bet it would get $$$. I just want something a little different form everyone else. I hate doing the same as everyone. It's going to be custom, so I want it to be mine, not just like somebody elses. Keep the ideas coming, I love the info.

Thanks guys

Jason
Old 11-13-2002, 06:45 PM   #6
guitarman
Do it well or don't do it

There is no A/C on that truck, to me that's a no no. Got to have A/C or I won't ride in it or drive it. I put A/C on everything I drive. I even had A/C on a California Bug I built.

Excellent paint and body site:

http://www.autobody101.com/

Visit my Web Site

http://home.attbi.com/~agfosteriii
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 07:21 PM   #7
crazy4chevs

GUITARMAN,

If you look under the pass air filter you can see the a/c compressor. very nice truck!

68 chev c10 swb fleet
Early classic 4/6 drop with 4wheel disc brakes 9"rear 67-8 buckets tilt and A/C
Classic GM Truck Club of Washington

crazy4chevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 07:30 PM   #8
minibike

The oldair AC unit has the heater and AC all in one box under the dash, allowing for a smooth firewall.
Attached Images

minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 08:10 PM   #9
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jmanz69
I like the pic of the twin turbo Blazer. I wonder if it could be done with a single or do V8's like twin better?
The answer to that question is it depends. If you look at the twins on the Blazer, you'll see a lot of "T" plumbing going on on the pressure side. Those joints make for an air turbidity problem (which is usually insignificant after boost comes up and if the system remains pressurized. For a street driven car, I'd avoid this situation at all costs. However, if you go with a single turbo and want lots of power, that means a BIG turbo, and big turbos spool up slower than their little brothers and sisters. So you have more lag. One solution to this problem is doing asymmetrical turbos-- one small, one big (Toyota Supra TT is a good example). But the down side is that these are VERY complicated systems and require a great deal of fine tuning of the fuel maps to deal with large pressure variances as each turbo spins up and feeds the engine. And, if you follow the turbo scene much, you'll see that most people UPGRADE their factory TT cars by replacing them with large singles.

I'm tired of typing now

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 08:38 PM   #10
guitarman
Do it well or don't do it

By god you're right there is A/C on that beautiful truck!

Excellent paint and body site:

http://www.autobody101.com/

Visit my Web Site

http://home.attbi.com/~agfosteriii
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 09:14 PM   #11
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

So.... I am right in thinking I could use two smaller (ie. 4cyl) turbos or one big one. The smaller ones seem easy to find. Just look ing the junkyard for a turbo coupe, or a old eagle. I would have to fab up the duct work and all. Is there any trick to where you put the turbos? Do they have to be in a certain orientation? I thinkI really like the turbo idea. Just need to get the money and time.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:01 PM   #12
ty1295

buy the book maximum boost.

More to turbos than just throwing some that are laying around on. Gets into airflow, etc.

The shaft of turbo should be parrell to ground, per some data I have directly from Garrett on turbo project they have donated turbos to me for.

Basically, you are looking for air density... which is pressure and tempurature.. you need both.

1 turbo or 2, just depends on packaging, what goals are, and what look you want. Most think twin is faster, but that is not the case.
'92 GMC typhoon
'95 Tahoe
Old 11-13-2002, 10:06 PM   #13
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

Thanks for the info.

I am aware there is a lot more to it than just slapping in a couple turbos, I just wnt to get a feeling for everyones opinions. I am new to the idea, and want to hear what works and what doesn't. I would hate to spend a ton of money and have it not work like I want.

I think I will get a book or two about it. I like to be informed before I get into anything. I will have it all planned out before I buy anything.

Thanks for all the help, keep it coming!

Jason
Old 11-13-2002, 10:19 PM   #14
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ty1295
buy the book maximum boost.

More to turbos than just throwing some that are laying around on. Gets into airflow, etc..
Both good pieces of advice.

Corky Bell, the author of Maximum Boost knows his stuff. He helped me on several projects including a fuel-injected turbo bike before anybody had a kit. He's semi-pseudo-retired but he still tinkers... but for those of you who have been to his shop in Dallas, he moved to San Antonio around 1995 or so.

As for which turbos to select, you need to work from the other direction... decide what you want the motor to do, determine what kind of cfm it will take to do it, then size your turbo(s) from there. If you go the "transplant" route and just pick a turbo because it's a good price and it doesn't happen to be sized right for your application, you'll regret it.

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 10:40 PM   #15
blue_69
someday

if you are looking for some info on turbo setups go to www.thirdgen.org and check out the power adder forum not trucks but man some sweet setups there

My 72 CST blazer build

72 CST Blazer 4x4
67 2wd swb ( project onion crate )
86 4x4 lwb plow truck
40 x 60 foot barn to work on all this stuff
blue_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 11:39 PM   #16
Project1970
14.1 @ 96MPH

I know I always post this when someone asks about turbos, but still...

http://www.hotrod.com/editorial/arti...=text&id=42798

Read the article...even though it's a Ford, it's still good info on turbocharging a V8.

Plumbing would actually probably be the easiest if you had a dual-throttlebody setup, but I don't think they've ever made one (okay, a GOOD one, I just thought of the Crossfire ) for the GenI or GenII smallblocks. I know Lingenfelter has his own custom setup for his twin-turbo 427-cube GenIII, though...dual-throttle-body. It doesn't look like it'd be terribly hard, especially if you look at the setup on that Ford...probably easier to build on a Ford, big-block Chevy, or a GenIII though due to the valve arrangement (IEIEIEIE instead of EIIEEIIE)
Old 11-14-2002, 01:06 AM   #17
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Gewt a hold of a member named PRO TRUCKS... he is in the begining stages of doing this. He done looked into it, then bought it all.
Oh, and his will be run on propain!
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 12:54 PM   #18
Low69CST

That turbo motor is an awesome looking set up. Anyone know where you can get that stainless tubing bought and bent at?
Quad Suspension and Dual Tanks
Low69CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 01:03 PM   #19
ty1295

Burns stainless, do a search on google

I have another site on one of my computers, not at it right now. Similar stuff, but cheaper.

As mentioned a single CAN have more spool, but with Fuel injection you can do things with fuel and timing to make this somewhat minimal.

Another note to think about, turbos and automatics are a good pair. Sticks add more issues with spool...FYI although there are some solutions with rev limiters, blow off valves, etc. Not sure I like them though.
'92 GMC typhoon
'95 Tahoe
Old 11-14-2002, 01:32 PM   #20
Smooth68

Quote:
Originally posted by guitarman
There is no A/C on that truck, to me that's a no no. Got to have A/C or I won't ride in it or drive it. I put A/C on everything I drive. I even had A/C on a California Bug I built.
1200hp twin turbo big block and you want A/C?

WTB 64-66 project or frame/cab, SWB or LWB...I have the fever! Whatcha got??

'68 Short Step - Shaved Body, Soon Bagged - SOLD

Driver-2004 GMC Z-71 Ext-cab
Smooth68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 02:28 PM   #21
Project1970
14.1 @ 96MPH

Quote:
Originally posted by ProSt68Trk

1200hp twin turbo big block and you want A/C?
Yes.
Old 11-14-2002, 03:12 PM   #22
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

My dad designed turbos for Garrett for 23 years. He designed the turbos for many passenger cars in the 70's and 80's including the SVO Mustang, Renault R5 and the Buick Grand National. We always had turbo cars around the house and most of his friends had turbo cars. One of the fastest cars I have ever been in was Ak Miller's Turbo Capri. It was running a Boss 351 with a single turbo rated around 900 HP. You can put a single turbo on an V8 without any problems. There are several companys that sell kits for single or double turbos. My dad knew several of the guys in this company; http://www.innovativeturbo.com/

The Cyclones and Typhoons are basically the same engine as the GN but in a smaller, lighter vehicle. We had the prototype GN at our house when I was a kid.

I learned to drive on my father's turbocharged pinto. It was a '72 runabout with a watercooled SVO 2.3L engine. Quick and light! When he sold the car a couple of years back, the guy who bought it rapped it around a tree within hours of completing the sale.

There has been a lot of developments since my dad was involved in the turbo industry in the mid 80's, but it is still a great way to add efficient horsepower.

Here is a twin turbo setup that I found on truckworld.com
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 04:15 PM   #23
ty1295

Quote:
The Cyclones and Typhoons are basically the same engine as the GN but in a smaller, lighter vehicle. We had the prototype GN at our house when I was a kid.

NOT TRUE!!!

The only thing the same is they both have turbo's

Buick Syclone/Typhoon (spelled with S not C)
3.8L Buick 4.3L Chevy
200r4 700r4
no distributor distrubutor
Garrett turbo Mitsubishi
~3500 car #3300 Sy, #3800 Ty
2wd All Wheel Drive

Sorry, the syty people are a little sore over the GMC with a buick debate. It is NOWHERE near the same, lots of misconceptions.

The only tie is, the first s-10 had a buick 3.8 in it, GM employee did it, GM was interested, it went from there. NO FACTORY SyTY ever had a Buick motor.

I have many more details if you need more proof.

Jeff
'92 GMC typhoon
'95 Tahoe
Old 11-14-2002, 06:56 PM   #24
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

I stand corrected. We left LA before they produced the Syclone. They were still producing the GN. I guess I always thought that the engines were basically the same. I guess that is one reason the Syclones were quicker.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 10:27 PM   #25
Ackattack

here's a page about this guys turbo build up
http://www.bmrfabrication.com/Buildup1.htm

sounds like quite a bit of trouble.

The TPI setup (in stock form) doesn't flow real well. An LT1 intake set up would flow better and make more power in my opinion.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote