The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2009, 08:36 AM   #1
oj70chevy
250 V-6 Club

component speakers Static?

Ok I am fed up and have no idea what to do so I am coming to the site that knows it all. I have a Kenwood KVT-617 that is pushing 50W x 4. I also bought a pair of Alpine sps-600c component speakers. When installed I am getting static out of the tweeters and thought they were bad so I took them back and got a new set but am getting the same thing. I have the power coming from the stereo to the mid connections and from the second set of connections off of the mids to the tweeters. I do not have cross overs on them. Also I will be getting an Amp in the next 2 days, will that help or make things worse?
Old 07-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Re: component speakers Static?

You're running these speakers in what is known as an "Active Crossover Network" without using ANY signal processing and using a bad power source on top of it.

If you can't get the crossovers from Alpine, I suggest getting a 4ch amp and doing some serious research. Active Crossovers require alot of tuning and product knowledge. You will need to run the proper signals to each speaker, making sure you are feeding the right amount of power and freq. that is needed (highs to tweets and mid-bass to mids).

You can do this by setting the front and rear crossovers that come on most amps, and by configuring the high/low/mid pass crossover on the amp.

Sound like a pain in the ass? It is.

Oh, that static sound is the noise from the internal amp in the deck.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:40 PM   #3
oj70chevy
250 V-6 Club

Acex Thanks for your reply. I think ill be putting my 2 way alpines back in and sell these ones cuse im not that smart when it comes to all setting changes and so on. all though I can hook up an amp stereo and speakers just fine. and the amp i got today is a 4/3/2 channel amp
Old 07-09-2009, 03:31 AM   #4
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Active set-ups can absolutely decimate Passive ones if the right person is doing it, but it requires ALOT of forethought and ability.

Stereo's are something where you really do need to start small and gain experience as you go. Just doing a ton of reading won't ge the job done. it takes some serious, real world experience to get right. Crossovers are arguably the most complicated part of a system too, and as smart as many people think I am, there's no way I'm ready to tackle an Active Crossover set-up yet...

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:20 AM   #5
oj70chevy
250 V-6 Club

Well after thinking about it for about an hour I decided to give it another try. I moved the speakers and traced the factory wiring all the way back to my Kenwood system (the driver side was wrong) I got the polarity right and messed with the treble, mid, and bass settings for about 2 hours they actually sound pretty good now. I also got the amp I have been waiting for and that should go in some time this weekend. I do have a few questions though. In my 02 Silverado is there a good location under the dash to mount the external box for my systems wiring? Its maybe 10" by 6" and about 1" thick. Do I need a capacitor (I think that’s what its called) for my system? I will be powering the system at 14.4 volts at 15A max/ self powered sub 14.4Volts at 12A max/ and last my new amp at 14.4Volts at 40A. And last do you think it would be overkill to run all new speaker wirers or continue to use the factory ones?

Again Thanks for all your advise.
Ralph