The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
bbc26

64 Malibu wheel and tilt column. Will it fit?

So I've been wanting a Malibu steering wheel to put into my 55 2nd and came across one this past sunday at the Pomona Swapmeet with at tilt column. It's in pretty good shape and everything seems to function fine.

My question is, will it fit in my truck? I am planning on running either the No Limit wide ride ifs or a Fatman Fab ifs crossmember up front. If it is gonna be an issue, I have a buddy who will give me $250 for the column. Which will put me pretty close to getting a column shift stainless unit from Summit Racing.

I'll try to post some pics and measurements tomorrow. Where should I measure to/from to give everyone a better idea of whether or not its gonna work out ok?

bbc
bbc26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:58 AM   #2
OrrieG

Re: 64 Malibu wheel and tilt column. Will it fit?

I have a 64 Malibu daily driver and I think the tilt wheels are pretty rare. You might consider selling it to 64 guy (not me I'm happy with the stock one) and buying an after market one. As far as fit I can measure mine, compare it to the 82 eldo column I have in my truck and see how close it is.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
..... the 82 eldo column I have in my truck....
I thought the prevailing wisdom on this board was an early 80's Chevy van with tilt and no key was the one to go with? Not questioning your Eldo column but does it have a key in it? I assume the shift lever is on it? I need no key, no shift, just tilt. Anyone know the optimum length and from where-to-where to measure?
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:31 AM   #4
bbc26

Thank you for the offer to measure up what you have. My truck was just the body and rolling chassis when bought it so I dont have an original column to compare it to.

I don't know much about Chevelles/Malibus and after what you said about them possibly being rare, I did some research, according to chevellestuff.net, about 17,000 out of a total of a little over a million made between 64 and 66were sold with the tilt column. How do I find out if what I have is legit? The column looks just like the one below that I found on the chevellestuff website but mine is a column shift and the wheel is two tone with four small chrome rings dividing the colors, which the site says came on the Malibus.
Attached Images

Last edited by bbc26; 04-18-2012 at 01:52 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
mr48chev

Measure from the floorboard to the column mount on the dash of the cab and where the stock wheel sets and compare the measurement to the column.

This might be one of those times were you might want to tell your buddy if he were to buy you a new flaming River or Ididit column the right length you would trade but I kind of like that Malabu column too.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
mr48chev

The early 8-'s van column is the clean factory unit that usually is very reasonable in price in most places. The thing here I believe is that BBC26 purchased the Chevelle wheel and column because he really likes that particular steering wheel for his truck along with it having that very slim and clean tilt column. His dilemma at the moment is does he use that tilt and wheel in his truck or does he sell or trade it to his buddy who seriously wants it as it is the correct wheel for his Chevelle. An aftermarket column is going to be a minimum of a hundred dollars more and then you have to buy the steering wheel so it's hard to come out without having to dig up more cash to go with what he might sell the column and wheel for.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
OrrieG

I know my column has a key, I was just trying to see where the Chevelle column would end up in relation to the seat. My eldo is 31.5" over all from the top flange at the wheel to the shaft end (sticks out about 2" from the firewall, top flange to firewall is 29.5"). My Chevelle column is 32" total (5" on firewall side, 27" wheel side). The Chevelle wheel is about 5-6" dished (about the same as a stock 59 truck wheel). The stock eldo wheel is about 2.5"-3. So if you use the Chevelle column, you will probably need to go to a flatter steering wheel to keep it off your belly or push it farther thru the firewall. I am dealing with that issue in my build thread.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:20 AM   #8
bbc26

Ok, here are some measurements-33.25" from the shaft end to the top flange where the wheel sits and 36.50" from the shaft end to the horn button. The wheel is what I am set on using. I really like the look of it and it isnt overly big like some Impala wheels of similar design. Its around 16".

I think I might have to go with another column. I'll keep an eye on OrrieGs build thread and do some more research to see if I can make it work. This is my first second series build, the last was a 60-66 and if these are anywhere near the same from dash to floor I would think I need something around 30" to make this wheel fit comfortably.

Thanks for the help so far guys. Anymore ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

bbc

Last edited by bbc26; 04-19-2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:31 AM   #9
bbc26

Here's a couple of pics
Attached Images