The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2014, 04:07 PM   #1
Threadbaron

72 Blazer Questions

Hey Guys, I am days away from taking my 1972 Blazer to the body shop for metal work and paint.

Here is what it looked like when I bought it. Well I added the wheels and tires, but rest looks the same.

Here are a couple pics after taking the Top off.

Here are some details that I know; It was originally green with a white top, or at least that appears so based on the inside of the door panels. I have seen on here many comments about the "Highlander" option and guess I need to consult my glove box to see what it says. I'm not totally sure anything is still there but I will look. Not really sure what made up the Highlander option. Also the houndstooth seats make me think so but Im not totally sure what all makes up the pkg.

I an thinking about going with this shade of blue (hopefully the owner of this one is ok with me using his pic).

Here are my initial plans and I wanted to see what the group thought. Totally understand the final decision is mine but heck thats half the fun of forums is looking at pics and others projects.

-Paint this shade of Blue. Is there a color number, year etc to reference?
- Will most likely Rhino line the inside floor
-Top eventually White but since im not putting it back on right now, no hurry for that.
- Dont think I am going to put back the moulding along the bottom. Main reason is Im not really crazy about it and dont have any so the cost may not be worth it. Will fill in the holes if i dont.
- Dont think I will replace the Chevrolet tailgate strip, instead use the white letters against the blue.
- I am planning on putting the swing out tire carrier on
- Not sure yet what to eventually do about the seats. Recover with the blue houndstooth? Since it will be in the weather who knows, maybe do this but also have some slip on seat covers made?
- It did have factory AC but the engine is not original so thats why I am not trying to go back totally original.

Thoughts on changes or other items that I have not considered? I appreciate the feedback!
Threadbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:45 PM   #2
My7d1

Re: 72 Blazer Questions

Was going to paint my 71 c-10 that blue, I think, not 100% but think its Lemans Blue

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...ette1969WA3962
My7d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:58 AM   #3
GuyO

My thoughts are if the thing is mostly original, personally I would "restore" it to the SPID on the glove box door. On the other hand, my Blazer was a Frankenstien when I bought it so I "modified" it to my liking as it would have been impossible to find numbers matching. I didn't like the molding either so bought a 68 trim kit from Markee. Also, I painted several pieces different colors then brought them out into the light and spent about 2 weeks before I made a paint choice during body work. I like how mine came out.
Attached Images

GuyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:54 AM   #4
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

If you're not worried about originallity, I would make it the way you want. I like that shade of blue. My body guy said I could find a paint code of any car and it can be duplicated. Check out the late model Covrette Jet Stream blue. Just make sure you look at the paint in sunlight, shade and inside to make sure its what you like.

Line-X will color match and has a great UV protection option. Not sure about Rhino. I had my entire 72 Blazer sprayed with Line-X, inside and out. Check out my signature for the link to my build thread.

Interior, since you have buckets, I would recover them with white leather(vinyl) and keep the blue/white plaid Highlander pattern for the centers. There are a few vendors that offer seat covers but also get a couple quotes from a local shop to make them.

Plan B would be some nice aftermarket suspension seats but that costs more and you may want to change the seat color anyway...

It all depends on your plans for the truck.

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE

Last edited by mcmlxix; 08-21-2014 at 04:02 AM. Reason: added pic
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #5
Threadbaron

Thanks for the feedback guys, I will smoke these over! I appreciate you for taking the time to respond and offer suggestions!
Old 08-21-2014, 04:39 PM   #6
Threadbaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyO View Post
My thoughts are if the thing is mostly original, personally I would "restore" it to the SPID on the glove box door. On the other hand, my Blazer was a Frankenstien when I bought it so I "modified" it to my liking as it would have been impossible to find numbers matching. I didn't like the molding either so bought a 68 trim kit from Markee. Also, I painted several pieces different colors then brought them out into the light and spent about 2 weeks before I made a paint choice during body work. I like how mine came out.
Nice combo, great choice of colors!