The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2010, 06:24 AM   #1
skysoldier173rd

radiator

I was planning on reusing my old radiator when installing a 305/700r4 in my 60 GMC truck, utilizing a seperate RV towing cooler for the transmission, but am rethinking that. Sounds like heating up the fluid is important as cooling it at times (cold weather), so i'm looking at fabricating a place for the wider radiatior by cutting out parts of the inner fenders to make room for the wider unit. anyone done this or maybe have a picture of your install? If so, would like to see what it looks like. appears the battery may have to be moved, but i don't see any other major changes that will need to be done.

thanks

Last edited by skysoldier173rd; 07-27-2010 at 07:02 AM.
skysoldier173rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:44 AM   #2
fleetsidelarry
Senior Car Nut

Re: radiator

no need to cut up the inner fenders, just get a radiator with more rows. my friend hdbiker runs a 454/700r with no problems. its not some fancy aluminum version either.

lakeroadster's suggestion is a good one.

I have a '61 panel that the previous owner torched the inner fenders on to make room for a wider radiator and moved the battery to the firewall where it was mounted so high it shorted against the hood! I'm sure you'd do a better job, but you don't have to cut or move anything.

just my 2 cents (opinions-2 cents, advice-free, you get what you pay for)
Old 07-27-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

I used an original style radiator in mine and then mounted a transcooler under the radiator. Trans lines go to the rad then to the cooler and then back to the trans. IMO- I wouldn't cut the inners.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:49 AM   #4
skysoldier173rd

I would love to use the original radiator but it's for a manual trans, no provisions for cooler lines. The one i plan to use is from the 86 truck and i do plan to use a trans cooler along with it. No money in the budget to get an aftermarket that bolts in with trans hookup and the OEM ones that are factory automatic set up are pretty scarce. Unless there's some way I don't know about to run it through the original radiator, I'm forced to use the newer radiator.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
skysoldier173rd

It's a done deal. Just a couple inches trimmed off each side, battery box moved towards the fender about 3". Just took the mounts off the 86 turned them upside down and reused them along with the rubber pads across the bottom to support the radiator. There is also a fine mounting space for the automatic trans cooler in front of the radiator in it's normal position. The big shroud was also very doable with no major problems. I'll take some pictures once the engine is in and everything is cleaned up and in it's permanent resting place. Next issue motor mounts and fabrication of a rear transmissison mount. I've seen some good homemade ones and it shouldn't be a big problem. Just got to cut off the old one and clean up the frame and clean/paint inner fenders and firewall. Got to get some batteries for my camera so i can do some pictures. So far, So good.

Last edited by skysoldier173rd; 07-27-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:50 PM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Do you have the transmission crossmember from the '86? Should work.......most any 2wd auto trans crossmember from '66-'87 will work.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote