The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
Leroy-B1

New to Lowering....help

Have a set of drop spindles made by Belltech...put them on and the top dodn't fit as it should and had to add a washer and neither did the tie rod end....my question is this changed truck from 6-lug to 5-lug using 71 parts...bought second hand spindles that were supposed to be for 71-72 truck...could they not fit because they may be 67-70 type spindles...any help would be greatly appreciated

also lowered 4.5 in front and 6 in back...it seems to want to sail in a curve...am I missing something to make it handle bad...used original panhard bar as it looked as if it was ok, have adjustable one but didn't appear to move and didn't do shock relocators...what yall think
Leroy-B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
fleetman

Re: New to Lowering....help

leroy -sorry.. i dont know but - check with belltech tomorrow- if you dont get a expert chimeing in here
fleetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
SCOTI

Re: New to Lowering....help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy-B1 View Post
Have a set of drop spindles made by Belltech...put them on and the top dodn't fit as it should and had to add a washer and neither did the tie rod end....my question is this changed truck from 6-lug to 5-lug using 71 parts...bought second hand spindles that were supposed to be for 71-72 truck...could they not fit because they may be 67-70 type spindles...any help would be greatly appreciated

also lowered 4.5 in front and 6 in back...it seems to want to sail in a curve...am I missing something to make it handle bad...used original panhard bar as it looked as if it was ok, have adjustable one but didn't appear to move and didn't do shock relocators...what yall think
Bell Tech spindles should have a p/n stamped or cast into the body to help identify what they were intended for. I would start researching that angle so you can determine what year truck you need when obtaining parts.

A lowered center of gravity is a major benefit when it comes to improving the handling ability of these trucks. But.... everything else has to be set-up properly as well. The alignment + shocks need to be optimized & the truck needs to be square. With the amount of rear drop, you need to use a longer, aftermarket Panhard bar to ensure the rear-end is centered w/minimal shift (longer bar = less side to side movement). Certain manufacturers longer bars can also have their height adjusted as well as the length for better geometry (Porterbuilt & No Limit).

What are you running parts wise to acieve the 6" rear drop? If there aren't any drop blocks back there, you definitely need to relocate the shock mounting points (lowering blocks allow drop w/o affecting the shock travel on rear coil applications).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote