The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Retractable seat belt question

I’m thinking about replacing my Simpson racing belts with conventional DOT approved lap belts. I’m leaning towards the metal buckle retractable style shown at the following link.

https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/seatb...cts/24/view/65

My question has to do with the retractors. Does anyone know if the belt holds a “set” once it is pulled out of the retractor, or does it constantly pull against the abdomen?

I find seat belts pulling under constant tension uncomfortable. Depending on how this retractor works I may have to settle for non-retractable lap belts. Thanks for any input.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:34 AM   #2
corvettejim1968

Re: Retractable seat belt question

im really not sure about an answer to your question but i thought you might want to see this ad i found today.

https://coolc10.com/
corvettejim1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:23 AM   #3
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

I think you're asking if the belts will "lock" in a certain position once pulled out rather than having spring tension on them, which keeps the belt tight against the lap?

I doubt you will find any that "lock" as it defeats the purpose of the belt. With your Simpson belts you pull the adjusters down to tighten but with a retractable belt it needs to have spring tension on it to keep you from moving during a collision.

Personally, I trust the Simpson belts more than the aftermarket standard seat belts.

YMMV.
blackedoutharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:22 AM   #4
skysoldier173rd

Those retractors look like the ticket. Mine don't retract and fall out on the ground all the time, a real pain. Just plain lap belts.
skysoldier173rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:35 PM   #5
wildearp

I get three point belts from Southern:

http://www.southernrods.com/search?query=seat+belts

$69 a side.

I have been in a couple pretty good crashes and would never run 2 point belts. I have bought several sets from Southern and they are half of what many places charge. They have install kits too. That ad posted above for Brothers for 3 points shows them almost double in price.
wildearp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for the input. SouthernRods certainly has the best pricing I've seen.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #7
brap999

FYI, I run the 3 point retractables from gotbelts.com:

http://www.gotbelts.com/retractable-...cts/81/view/30

They fit my bucket seats well, and the belts work great. I'm fortunate enough to have not been in an accident yet, but I have had to stop hard and the belts locked up like they were suppose to and held in place. They also make lap belts, but I can't comment on the quality of those since I haven't use the lap belts.

They also say they "Meets Federal Motor Vehicles Safety standards 209 and 302".
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ
2018 Chevy Camaro ZL1-1LE
It's never too early to beef up my obituary
brap999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:31 PM   #8
wildearp

Forgot to answer the question.......they do not lock until there is forward inertia. There is a slight spring tension, but all of them will have this.

I ran them in my dually for years of hard use with no problems at all. They are in my 47 and I have two more sets in my parts room to install on current projects.

I met some of the guys from Southern at a big car show. You would be hard-pressed to find nicer folks to work with.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:44 PM   #9
jocko

I'm with you Markeb01, I know exactly what you're talking about and I don't really like it either. but I think what you're referring to was a post-60's "just-adjust-it-til-it's about right" and it holds that position (without any tension) and pre-mid-80's "constant-light-tension" type of belt. For instance, I had a few 70's cars that did what you mentioned, pull them out and stick in the buckle, and then adjust the tension by pulling on the belt and releasing - i.e. so it didn't suck back against your chest/lap on its own. But I do notice that even my newer vehicles have constant light tension on the belt - it just doesn't feel like it because it's so light.

My solution was to use a finite-adjusted belt that had an auto-retractor installed on it after the correct "no-tension" length was adjusted. Then the installed retractors were put on and the tension is very, very light. Seems to work pretty good for me. But then again - this is not a 3 point belt, so not sure how that would work. Here's a thread to how I installed it on my truck. My main goal was to just keep my belts from flopping out on the ground (+ PO had the old belts installed backwards).

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=416727
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:07 AM   #10
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Again, thanks for the input. That exactly answers my original question. I seemed to remember having retractable lap belts in several of my cars back in the 70’s that allowed a positional length adjustment by gently pulling the ratchet. I was assuming none of the current aftermarket belts offer this feature. I’d go for 3 point belts but have a collar bone problem that doesn’t tolerate pressure. In my new cars I have to put a clamp on the shoulder strap to keep the pressure off, and don’t really want to create the same problem in my truck.

Overall I’ve been very happy with the Simpson racing belts, but after discovering how much damage the latch has done to the steering wheel, I’m ready to try something different. The latches are so heavy they rarely fall out of the car, but certainly have caused a few dents in the rocker area when the doors get shut on them.

It’s a mysterious phenomenon - but for some unexplained reason the older my truck gets, the steering wheel keeps growing closer to the seat causing an interference problem with the seat belt buckle!
Old 08-07-2011, 02:37 AM   #11
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
It’s a mysterious phenomenon - but for some unexplained reason the older my truck gets, the steering wheel keeps growing closer to the seat causing an interference problem with the seat belt buckle!
LMAO!!!!

I was reading your post thinking "how in the world is the latch messing up the steering wheel?"

LOL!

I know all about Clavicle issues.....
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2011, 09:21 AM   #12
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

OUCH! I imagine that probably left a bruise!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:26 AM   #13
'63GENIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackedoutharley View Post
LMAO!!!!

I was reading your post thinking "how in the world is the latch messing up the steering wheel?"

LOL!

I know all about Clavicle issues.....
Got a pretty good laugh out that one too!

Looks like you're carrying a comb (or an iron rake) on you shoulder in that x-ray!

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #14
64fleetside

wildearp, how long are the female(short) side of those belts? I tried one brand & they were too short-real hard to get buckled when one end is stuck between the cushion & back of the seat.
64fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:39 AM   #15
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
OUCH! I imagine that probably left a bruise!
And a scar too!

Actually it was broken in a motorcycle accident in '97 and I got it fixed with that hardware in '09.
I thought the nurse was going to pass out when I told her it had been broken for 12 years. LOL
Old 08-08-2011, 04:00 AM   #16
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

I don't really have any input here, I have been looking for a seatbelt system just like that one from Southern. I'm just bookmarking so I can find it again later, thanks fellas.
fryer1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #17
mikie 1954

Markeb01,I don't know if this will help or not but if you look into the 3 points in big trucks they have a devise in them that after you put on your seat belt you pull alittle tenchion off your shoulder strap and lock it down so there is on pull.Maybe this could work on the system that corvettjim1968 posted.
mikie 1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:48 PM   #18
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikie 1954 View Post
Markeb01,I don't know if this will help or not but if you look into the 3 points in big trucks they have a devise in them that after you put on your seat belt you pull alittle tenchion off your shoulder strap and lock it down so there is on pull.Maybe this could work on the system that corvettjim1968 posted.
Thanks for the tip. I'll do some research. If I could find a way to relieve that tension without using a big ugly plastic clamp I'd prefer having 3 points over lap belts.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:09 PM   #19
wildearp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64fleetside View Post
wildearp, how long are the female(short) side of those belts? I tried one brand & they were too short-real hard to get buckled when one end is stuck between the cushion & back of the seat.
You can make extensions, if necessary, out of 1/8" thick x 1" flat bar. The female side is approximately 12".
Old 08-08-2011, 04:20 PM   #20
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikie 1954 View Post
Interesting, I have found the product you mentioned, it's called Komfort Latch. There's a first and second generation design, and all sorts of information on operation and use. And near as I can tell virtually no resource on the planet that actually sells the device.

I did find a similar product from Loopo, and only $7.50 for a pair. I'll definitely be ordering a pair for our Honda.

http://www.seatbelttensionadjuster.com/
Old 08-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #21
Slow Build

Just came upon these belts at Summit. I know nothing about the brand but the price is low.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HF...n/?prefilter=0
Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside
1968 GMC short stepside-4x4
1973 Chevy short stepside
1989 Chevy short fleetside-reg cab
1993 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab
2002 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab

Save the dinosaurs, use synthetic oil.
Slow Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:07 PM   #22
mikie 1954

Mabe go to a dealer[KW, PETERBUILT,ECT] and ask them, alot of trucks have them.
mikie 1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:32 AM   #23
ljackson

i just installed them in my son's 64. They do pull all the time. Here is my research. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=476066

http://zacks64longfleet.shutterfly.com/

Higher res. photos in my gallery.
ljackson is offline   Reply With Quote